Today, December 7th..

Dandy Dave

As you can read at my avatar (right above the pic of my '91 Reatta) I am the son of a Pearl Harbor survivor....Battleship USS Oklahoma.  My dad was career Navy...1936 to 1966...retired Sr Chief Gunners Mate (E8).  Served 2 tours Pacific Fleet and 1 tour Atlantic Fleet WWII; also 2 tours Korea, and a DI during the late '50's.

Also, my brother (a year younger than me) served 2 tours 'in country' Vietnam '69 to '73...Army Corps of Engineers Heavy Equipment Operator (E5).

Extremely proud of both of them!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

I had a second cousin who served under General Patton as a tank driver.  He passed on my birthday in 1970 and I remember some of the stories that he told me about that time in his life.  Thank You to ALL of our military folks for your service.  MAY AMERICA ALWAYS BE FREE thanks to your sacrifice.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Honorably Discharged - US Navy

• Like 2

My mother's only brother served under Patton's 3rd Army and was killed in the Ardennes Forest during the Battle of the Bulge.  Also had another uncle that was a Submariner Chief Electricians Mate (E7) Pacific Fleet WWII (survived to work for the Navy Dept. DC in later years). 

Edited by DShip (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Recently some millennial blogger said that the history of World War II shouldn't be taught to today's  youth "So their mental health can be preserved."  He didn't say a thing about students who open fire on their own classmates.  Apparently that's something they can live with but something from 75+ years in the past is stressful.  If you want to read his entire comments just Google it.

When I was teaching American History, there was more interest shown by my students in the Revolutionary War, the Civil War, World War II, and Vietnam than anything else in the curriculum.  They were very interested in what it took for the United States to become what it is and how the people persevered.  Vietnam mostly because it was most recent and they knew someone who served during that time.

• Like 2

My father served with the 6th Special Battalion, SeaBees, US Navy from the founding of the Construction Battalions, through the duration of the War in the Pacific.

While he never discussed most of the action or his time in the Navy, others who served, and especially other veterans I've met at the WWII Museum here in New Orleans, have filled me in on activities, heroism, and the dirty job the 6th Special lived through.

Dad did often remind us what nice people the Fiji Islanders were, and how they helped US servicemen when they were able.

My respect for all who served-

All gave some,

Some gave all.

• Like 4

• 1 year later...
16 minutes ago, Dandy Dave said:

December 7th is here again. Back to the top.

Thank you for reminding us. My father served in Patton's army as a gunner in the 377th Anti-Aircraft Artillery Battalion. His discharge papers show him participating in several major campaigns in many countries throughout Europe. I'm so proud of him for what he did to help keep our country free. Many thanks to all who served.

This is a photo of Dad and his water cooled machine gun. I believe this photo was taken in Belgium.

Arnold Boring11.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

My uncle Carmine Coletti (my mother's only brother) also served in Patton's 3rd Army.  He was killed in Belgium during the battle of the Bulge.  My dad was also a Pearl Harbor survivor, Battle Ship USS Oklahoma.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

My Dad was 20 years old and an orphan raised by my Great Grandfather Tom Daily. Through the war Tom posted ads in our local paper encouraging people to buy bonds and help get Donny home. Like the ad pictured below.

My Dad was trained as a Corpsman and shipped to an airbase in southern England. He told me his group was transported by truck from the ship to the base. Inside the base was a field about a mile long lined up with plywood gliders. He told me passing those coffins was the quietest time of his life. No one said a word, knowing if they got in one of those chances were low of coming back.

Luckily Old Tom owned the garbage route in town so Dad has a chauffeurs license from age 16. Truck drivers were more in need than corpsmen and he stayed on the base to do his part.

DonBonds.JPG.b95518d271f7e9871624a58724e2fd3a.JPG

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• 1 year later...