How do you pronounce Chayne?

B Jake Moran

Depends on where you live. Here in Penna Dutch country the old timers pronounce their V's as W's, W's as V's and J's as CH's.

As one local said regarding his new daughter:  "Ve vanted to call her Wickey (Vickey) but ve couldn't say it so ve  chust  called her Chain (Jane).

God only knows what they would do with Chayne.......Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

Do you say it like the ex-VP Dick Cheney (Chay-knee)?  

NAY !  Uh-uh. Not like that at all. Cheney came out of the gate swingin', tryin' t'git folks to pronounce his name correctly. Neither folks nor press would give him a break. They kept on Chay-kneeing him despite his efforts . He really wanted to have people call him by his name, and I don't blame him. He finally sent Alan Simpson out to set the record straight. Simpson told of running into uncle so-and-so of the Nebraska branch of the Cheney family down at the American Legion. Unc' confirmed that it is and always was Cheney, pronounced (Chee-knee). Now look : Honestly I am not real fond of of Chee-knee. Destabilizing the Middle East and letting Al and Tal have a get out of jail pass out of the T.B. Valley for lack of a 100,000 troop commitment (please do not take this as a political statement - I have direct personal corroboration from an Outfit guy which I can reference and share off forum), then sends 140,000 to open up a premature 2nd front in Iraq. "We'll have Haliburton pump Iraqui oil and go into the black in 6 months". Remember that ? And now tens of  $1,000,000,000,000's later with no possible end ? Naw, man. Not "W", not I. Neither of us, nor many, hold him in high regard. But I do believe he is due the respect of having his name pronounced correctly. And of course everyone just propagates what they have heard. So for us here who have now become enlightened, can we just give the man his name back ? I mean : I would have to correct anyone who calls me Cataract Carl. How does  B Jake Moraine sound ? Etc. for any of us ? I wonder what cars Cheney and Simpson drive ?    -    Cadillac Carl 

11 hours ago, C Carl said:

. So for us here who have now become enlightened, can we just give the man his name back ?

If they followed your advice that would make you one of those Cadillac Converters.

I have had a particularity tough time with pronunciation and spelling of Bernard Daily. First name is like George Shaw, based on what my mother called me. Daily is absolutely correct since that side of the family came across the St. Lawrence River, by way of Canada,in the wee hours of the morning. It's not like some clerk at Ellis Island misunderstood or misspelled the name and they were afraid to correct them.

I have created a grid with ten numbered squares. Hidden under each square is the name of a Forum member. Ten bucks a square if you want to take a chance on the first one who writes "What does this have to do with antique cars". The winner gets to sit next to the commentor at Thanksgiving dinner.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 12:10 PM, Centurion said:

I have listened to a presentation by his daughter, who lives in my area.  Quite certain it is pronounced like "Shane".

Brian:

That is good enough for me.  From now on when reading about him I will refer to him in my head as Charles Shane. 

• Like 1

On 12/1/2019 at 5:37 PM, B Jake Moran said:

Brian:

That is good enough for me.  From now on when reading about him I will refer to him in my head as Charles Shane. 

Well that's not good enough for me.   If the family wants the name to be pronounced Shane, the should spell it Shane with the S.  Chane  is pronounced Chane with a CH.  Spellings has consequences.

Reminds me of a joke I heard about a woman who was mad people mispronounced the name of her daughter. Her  name was Le-a.  People would say "Lee" or "Leah"  but the woman corrected them that they were omitting the dash, and the girls name was "Ledasha"

We didn't have a phone in our family house until I went into the Navy in 1967. I had very little exposure to them until 1971. It was a struggle when people gave me a number like NEwton7-0050. And pronounced the zeros as oh. There was one big O and a little o on the dial. I learned pretty quick that I didn't always get me what I wanted.

Now that I am older I enjoy giving that quizzical look and taking things literally.

"I'll just grab that for you."

"Please, don't grab it. Just pick it up gently" comes to mind 'cause I did that in a restaurant today- annoying and frustrating at the same time. What great sport!

Bernie