What tool to remove door handles, 51 Buick?

Kestrel

I'm trying to find the appropriate tool to get behind the inside door handles and remove the retainer springs so that they can be removed. The shop manual says "Door Handle Pliers KMO 601." I tried a standard mechanic's flat tool for removing retainer springs to no avail. Can anyone suggest a specific tool and where to find one ?  Any tricks to this ? Thank you !

It's not the springs. It's a little horseshoe-shaped clip that inserts around the center of the door handle and window handles. Use the tool photographed above to remove it. Normally, you insert the tool and pull the clip out towards the open end of the door handle, if you get what I mean. Sometimes, if the horseshoe clip is too small to begin with (there are 2 or 3 sizes of them), the tool may not touch them, if one end of the clip has sunk down too far. I've used a couple of ice picks sometimes,  in place of the tool. Or the best thing, sometimes, is a thin dental pick. My mother was a dental hygienist, so I always had a good supply of those available!

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX.

• Like 2

I understand now what you're saying. Upon closer examination, those clips appear embedded into the groove making it hard for any tool to grab the ends.

Luckily I also have a generous dental hygienist that gladly gives me her used dental scaling picks. If the standard removal tools don't work, I'll pull those out and start probing around.⛏️

5 hours ago, 56 Buick said:

BTW a rag carefully placed in behind the handle base will work well without the possibility of ripping any upholstery. You use a hand on each end and work it back and forth and back and it will take the horse shoe clip off.

That is a good idea that I will try.  The tools shown above will gouge vinyl and rip fabric if not careful!  I cut a section out of an oil bottle or similar to isolate the tool.

Also if you have the handles re-chromed be sure to tell them to tape off the attachment area, otherwise the buildup will make it hard to install without a lot of dremel  work.

• Like 2

The clip is supposed to be mounted on the handle with it's prongs pointing up the handle, so the tool should be inserted along the handle towards the shaft. But, sometimes someone else put it on backwards, so the tool has to come from the shaft end instead of the knob end (or open end if not a window crank).

One can install the handle two ways. First is to use the handle to figure out where you want the handle to point, usually roll up the window first. Then install the clip all the way on. Position handle in place and knock it on with the palm of your hand. Or, position the clip on the handle, there is a spot where the clip will rest, put the handle on the shaft, slide the removal tool from the "wrong" side and push the clip into position that holds the handle on the shaft. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

JD Barlow - Don't buy the solid metal tool - it is not going to work - at least not on a '49.  The pliers work great.  Approach handle from the inside of the crank handle (you will feel the tool set when it grips in place), squeeze and gently pull the handle off the spindle with your other hand.  Surprisingly smooth removal.  The manual shows what's going on so refer to that first for a mental picture.

But if you are sure you have the clip off then apply WD-40 and wait 24 hours.  Tap it with a hammer to loosen rust. Use the slide hammer idea.  Use heat from a propane torch as a last resort if you have a replacement handle.  You must have some serious rust if the clip is actually off - does not sound right.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002BC082/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

31vAwN9LkGL._AC_.jpg

Edited by Dan O (see edit history)