Running driving '51 Woodie without the wood.

Would something like this be a deal at 10 grand? It seems to me it would be, but I don't know. (Not mine. )

1951 Ford Country Squire | eBay

" It carries a clean CA non-op registration" whatever that means. No title, I guess, but it may not make any difference to buyers in California, it sounds like. 

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)

I'm not really interested in the car mercer09, but I thought someone here might be. Because I live in Nebraska, the potential lack of a proper title is the kiss of death. I see these restored woodies being offered for sale at $65k and above (have no idea if they actually sell for that) so I thought maybe 10k for a running driving vehicle might be an opportunity for a serious restorer to not lose money, but I may be wrong in my thinking. I think the seller has/had a best offer option on it, too.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I'm learning something here. I've always had the impression (based on very little other than a few comments I've read) that the 49-51 Ford woodie was generally considered the ultimate Ford woodie wagon - maybe because they were 2 doors like mercer09 said - but I think that was a wrong perception on my part.

I've always thought woodies were cool, but I've heard they rattle a lot and require a fair deal of wood maintenance, so I never really wanted to own one. I'll say that I never quite understood the high dollar amounts they bring. Those super high asking prices may also have given me a false impression of their popularity. Slightly off topic (but on the subject of expensive woodies): A local historical museum had what looked to be an original Town and Country convertible in the lobby for many years, but they apparently found out how much it was worth and sold it. I'm guessing they used the money to buy some much more boring artifacts. 😄

I may be wrong here but would respectfully disagree that the 49-51 woodies are well ahead of other Ford woodie wagons. I suspect the top of the heap would be the 33-37 era Fords with the 32 and the 38-40's right behind them. The 46-48 would be next, then 41 followed by 28-31. Unfortunately,  the 49-51s take up the rear. That's just my opinion and would be open to reading dissenting opinions. 

• Like 1

eric,

nobody is pricing the woodies, which your opinion does and you are correct on that.

seems most people like woodies by the time period they grew up in- just like cars in general.

certainly this car would be easier to maintain and drive then say a 1934................... also easier to leave out in the rain.

• Like 1

I googled '34 woodies (you know, like in the Jan and Dean song) I got about a half dozen that were two doors. Were they just rewooded that way after the fact, or did Ford actually offer two doors? They were all street rods, so I'm guessing the former.

20 minutes ago, TerryB said:

If only I was younger, richer, and all those other excuses.  Neat car that looks like it deserves a rebuild. 

I thought I might make an offer of 6k just for the fun of it. I know I said I don't really want a woodie, but they are cool and that car would be great for 6000. :)

• Like 1

He has the wood kit offered as well.

An offer on the both auctions may be a good idea and save some trouble as he suggests that there is a waiting period for the wood kit.

I agree that this looks like a solid deal.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JamesR said:

Wow. 13 grand. Why so expensive?

If you think that's expensive a Woody wagon, from the 30's & 40's, with all structural wood can range from $25K to $35K for the wood alone.

Even after buying the wood kit it all has to be fitted to the car, which is labor intensive. One size DOES NOT fit all.

• Like 1

Get the car for $5-6 grand.  Get some sheet metal and a welder from harbor freight.  Weld some sheet metal where the wood should be.  Then go to the hardware store and buy about 100 sq yards of wood grain contact paper and an Exacto knife!  Instant woodie restoration without all the fuss of cutting, sanding, filling and so on.  Take a picture from 100 feet and nobody will notice.

• Like 1

Get the car for $5-6 grand.  Get some sheet metal and a welder from harbor freight.  Weld some sheet metal where the wood should be.  Then go to the hardware store and buy about 100 sq yards of wood grain contact paper and an Exacto knife!  Instant woodie restoration without all the fuss of cutting, sanding, filling and so on.  Take a picture from 100 feet and nobody will notice.

too much effort............why bother?

lol

• Like 1