Vehicle Inspection Company

psychostang

Do not use AAG, which is a known scam. Most other companies are not very well versed in old cars and it's unlikely that you'll get information that's useful. They don't test anything, they don't do compression tests or leak-down tests or even look at the oil. An inspector will take a very close-up photo of every nick and scratch he can find and he might take a ride with the seller--might. He probably doesn't know anything about the car he's looking at and may not even be a car guy but rather just someone who does inspections on the side for extra cash. The report you get will tell you everything they could find that's wrong with the car, but without context it's meaningless. A good car can have plenty of scratches and an immaculate car can run like crap. 99% of the inspectors do not have any frame of reference for a car older than about 2005 and the checklists that their companies give them are not very useful beyond assessing how many scratches it has and how worn the upholstery might be and how much tread is left on the tires. 

Most recent experience with an inspector? An older guy who came in to see a 1938 Cadillac and said, "All Cadillacs have power windows. I don't know who did the restoration but this car has been badly hacked up." Is that moron really worth your $200-500? Will he really be able to tell you anything useful at all about the car you're looking at?

If it's a car you want, my advice is always to spend the money on a plane ticket and go lay your own eyes on it. It's the only way to be sure. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, padgett said:

Might be better to look for an appraiser. Inspectors are more for modern cars.

A difference without distinction. Every guy who comes into my shop to look at a car for money claims he's both when he's actually neither. 

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

There is no certifying authority for automobile inspectors or appraisers. Each company seems to "certify" their own people but there are no uniform standards nor education requirements. If you have transportation and sort-of know what a car is, you're qualified for the job.

• Like 2

I have offered to look at cars for $1500 per day plus expenses, although I get the idea potential buyers think that is too much. Could be, but the times I have made a mistake on my own purchases I have been able to sell them and come out a few bucks ahead.

It is easy to make a list of things that are wrong. Knowing what is right and works right is a bit more of a challenge.

A few decades ago I came to an engineer with a list of things wrong in the construction of an 800,000 square foot building. He said "Any (fill in your favorite) can make a list of what's wrong. Tell me what needs to be done." New list the next day, all changes implemented. That's how one establishes a lifelong standard.

Oh, cars are my hobby. I got paid to do a capital asset condition on a firehouse..... that still had a hay mow for the 1880's horse drawn pumper.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

1 hour ago, psychostang said:

Unfortunately the car sold yesterday.

Or fortunately, at least The Hunt is not over!

Advice is usually discouraging. I stopped asking long ago. I act on impulse, never admit my mistakes,, and practice looking innocent in the bathroom mirror every morning. I have bought cars that did not meet my expectation, but can't remember one I regret buying.

• Like 1

There is a fellow over on the Stovebolt Forum that does inspections that goes by the handle of Hot Rod Lincoln. He's in his mid 70's so knows older vehicles. He is brilliant, outspoken, abrasive as he!!, and has a resume a mile long. Never met him and not sure I want to but he would take anything missed in an inspection as a personal affront. He has to prove he's smarter than you and is 99.9 percent of the time.

On 10/13/2019 at 7:37 PM, 60FlatTop said:

I have offered to look at cars for $1500 per day plus expenses, although I get the idea potential buyers think that is too much.

To the original poster or any newcomers reading this:

Please be assured that inspections cost far less than

the above number!  Sometimes, fellow club members

will look at a car for no fee at all, except for expenses.

There's a lot of good will and generosity shared among

hobbyists.

• Like 2