Recent Acquisitions including a Speedster

TerryB

Nice finds.  The speedster,  by Wyandotte, originally came with flat-faced bulbs.that screwed into the projections on each side of the grille panel.  I was fortunate to bum several of them from a friend some years back.  A single "D" cell, secured underneath by a stiff wire lit the lights when the switch handle on the passenger side was pulled back.  Special features like this enhanced the play value and brought joy to young lads, at least until the battery ran down. 

MVC-024S.JPG

• Like 2

Mine still has the lever to turn on the lights.  The centers of the white tires are very oversized from play and breakdown of the rubber.  Still has decent paint.  The green truck is also a Wyandotte, the wood wheels carry the name.  The red army tank is hard rubber from the Sun Rubber Co of Ohio.

This tin Japanese army truck by Modern Toys was also part of the deal.  The spotlight operator seated behind the light is missing his head.  Anyone have a spare head you’re not using?  😀  It too uses batteries.  Older friend is going to live in a retirement cottage and has to downsize.  That will be me in a few years.  

701EFF1D-5B0D-433F-B066-27EFD10F7F79.jpeg

On 9/18/2019 at 4:38 PM, TerryB said:

This tin Japanese army truck by Modern Toys was also part of the deal.  The spotlight operator seated behind the light is missing his head.  Anyone have a spare head you’re not using?  😀  It too uses batteries.  Older friend is going to live in a retirement cottage and has to downsize.  That will be me in a few years.  

701EFF1D-5B0D-433F-B066-27EFD10F7F79.jpeg

Looks like the trucks you’d see in the old Godzilla movies.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, TerryB said:

Here is the spot light operator and his missing head.  Having trouble even finding a picture of what it should look like.  I’m thinking a small pumpkin would be appropriate this time of year.

Rip the head off a Ken doll and super glue it there.... :)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BucketofBolts said:

The tank. What does something like that go for now? 

Actually not much, it’s a Sun Rubber Co of Ohio item made after WW2 from 1947-49 from what I can find.  eBay, the source of all knowledge shows them to sell for less than $30 although some are asking a lot more.  Sun issued the same tank in green in the early 1950s around or just after the Korean conflict.  I have some Auburn rubber toys too and they are also not strong items price wise. The “hot” army toys seem to be the Dinky metal toys from the 1950s and 1960s.  I think they are neat regardless of their market value and the fact they are not highly desirable makes getting them affordable.