mounting tires

broker-len

Bought 19 inch tires from coker        a little while back    has the little dot  embossed on the tire wall        does it  go on the same side as valve stem or opposite side   I forget       Called coker     the person who answered first did not know then said it did not matter then said opposite     ?????????   thanks

• Like 1

The dot is to mark the heavy spot, so it is usually placed across from the valve stem. However, the valve stem weighs so little that it doesn't really matter. They should balance up pretty well no matter where the dot actually ends up. The important thing is that your mounting shop doesn't hurt the rims or locking rings. The rest is easy.

thank you Matt                    the wheel is a one piece  steel wire wheel    32 Plymouth      just painted the wheels with enamel with a hardener     worried about getting the new paint destroyed     going to try to mount myself    new tires     pretty stiff        any advise  ?

Wrap the wheel edges in a heavy, black trash bag and the tire should slide right on. I always change my 1931 Dodge tires while the wheel is on the car. Makes it MUCH easier than wrestling with it on the ground. My wheels are like yours....

post-37352-143141749026.jpg

• Like 1

I deflate the tire, shove the plastic bag in and around the wheel bead edge. I use a rounded tire spoon with no sharp edges and slowly work it around the rim and pulling the tire off. I never get chips in the paint that way. You may want to check on the backside of a wheel to see how hard the paint is prior to mounting the tires.

Put the bag on the wheel edge, put the tube in the tire and be sure you have the rim band/tube protector on the wheel prior to installing the tire/tube as a unit. Put the first bead on, pull the trash bag off of the rim and insert it back on to put the other tire bead on. Then you can line up the valve stem with the hole if you haven't already done so.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Put the tire on the wheel from the back side, I use a rubber hammer, never tire irons, irons are for removal. I like a shipping blanket on the floor and a cable or chain valve stem pulling tool. Tube in the tire, inflate then remove the core and install tire & tube. Once you are on a roll all four should take you two hours. Bob 

1 hour ago, keiser31 said:

I always change my 1931 Dodge tires while the wheel is on the car. Makes it MUCH easier than wrestling with it on the ground

29-31 Pontiac operators manual says to mount tires this way on drop center wheels.  I have always put the valve stem opposite the serial number.  Out of 9 sets of tires only one set needed one tire balanced.

35 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

I usually fold the trash bag a few times in order to cover the rim well. You could use a few layers of painter's tape instead of the bag.

Another use for the trash bags (Like Hefty) . If you are doing a wheel alignment on a level steel or concrete surface and do not have the spring/roller plates to do the Caster 20 degree swings you can cut up into 1 foot squares the trash bags. Five or six 1 ft. squares under each front wheel will allow a perfect swing from zero to 20 degrees and back through zero and 20 degrees  to check and adjust the Caster adjustment angle. They will also allow the suspension to be jounced to level things out after a car has been jacked off the ground.  

• Like 2

On cars with a high profile tires 60 series and above if you leave the tires in the sun for a while then spray silicone on both beads of the tire and around the edge of the rim you can sometimes mount a tire by hand. This is easily accomplished on the tire mounting/dismounting machine using your body weight and a good pair of strong arms. 75 series tires are really easy to do this way. 

Any advise on 19" lock rings ? Have newly powder coated rims and was thinking years ago installed lock rings on my Chevy pickup using dish soap so the rings did not chip the paint. Saw a you tube where a guy just used his rubber soled boot to stomp them down, looked painful !