1928 Buick tires

crazycars

Just bought a rough but complete 1928 Buick Brougham 4 door sedan, dual side mounts, and wire wheels. Strange tire size: 800 x 21. Seems awfully large.  Anyone out there have an idea if this is actually the correct tire size for the car? All responses gratefully appreciated. Thanks

1928 Buick Brougham.jpg

• Like 2

Maybe 600/650-21's? I don't think those nice rims are wide enough to accomodate 800-21's, if such a tire is made. Seems to me wheel diameters got smaller before tires got that tall/wide. The earliest car I can think of that used 800-series tires is a '39 Packard V-12, and those tires are enormous. Check the BCA Judging Manual.

I checked the BCA manual. Don't know which series (Standard or Master) your car is, but here goes:

Standard: 21x4" wheel, 31x5.25 (5.25x21) tire.

Master: 21x4.5" wheel, 33x6 (6.00x21) tire.

Check your rim width; 4" rim gets the 5.25 (or, I suppose, the 6); 4.5 gets the 6 (or, you could push it to 6.50).

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Hi carcrazy Bob here in Edmonton Alberta I’m gathering parts to make a Buick speedster. I have wire wheels and three front hubs for 28 Buick/buffalo wire wheels. I have on back hub missing the brake drum. I see your 28 with the same wheels. Have you done anything with that car. Any chance you have extra back hubs or know someone who might ?thanks 

• 3 months later...

Hi again to carcrazy. Bob here in Edmonton Alberta I am looking for rear hubs for the 28 Buick /buffalo wire wheels. Can’t seem to find any so I might have to machine my own. Not sure what they look like tho. Two pc hub is what I’m told. Do you have yours torn apart so I could get some pictures and a few measurements. Please call me 780 819 7404 thanks