New guy looking for a ’28-’34 6-8 cylinder project car

mothboss

Hi all,

I’m Nick. I’m 28 and a graduate student living in North-Central Florida. My only car is a 1965 Volvo 122s that I partially restored a couple of years ago. I maintain it by the book and it’s been drive anywhere reliable over the past year since a tree fell on my newer car.

I had a huge amount of fun fixing up my old Volvo, and now it’s time for a new project. I plan to make plenty of mistakes, learn a ton, and have fun. I’m especially interested in learning more about bodywork, wood framing, and parts fabrication. There is a club in town I can join that has equipment for woodworking, metal fab, 3D printing, upholstery etc (https://www.gainesvillehackerspace.org/about)

I am looking for a bigger (I’m 6’ tall) 6 or 8 cylinder car from the 1928-34 period that I can restore to driver condition. Looking to spend 5k or less, and putting in a ton of sweat equity. Non running is fine, no title is okay too. Prefer something that can roll on to a trailer. I am guessing  mostly four door closed cars will be within budget but open to anything :)

I’m curious to see what’s out there, and looking forward to hearing from folks! 

Nick,

Got 2 web sites for you to check out.

www.carsonline.com and www.oldcarsandmore.com

Find a year make and model you love, or could grow to love, that is in a state of disrepair that you think you, (and your tool chest) can handle, at a price you think you can afford, and start your new project.

Working on a car you don't like is WORK.

Working on one you DO like is FUN.

Just remember to keep us old guys posted on your pick and your progress.

And of course we like pictures...........

Mike in Colorado

12 hours ago, countrytravler said:

Hello

I have a 1930 DC 8 with many spare part. I'm in CA. I can deliver to FL since I haul cars for a living. Need a email to send about 50 plus pictures. These cars are beautiful when done. I would deliver the package for 5k.

Call

209-613-1199

Thanks

Dave

1111 (1).jpg

1111 (2).jpg

1111 (3).jpg

1111 (4).jpg

1111 (5).jpg

It also comes with a tech adviser. He is Dave, nick name DC8 Dave. He has the most knowledge of the DC8.  He knows them inside out.

Thanks everybody for your replies and suggestions! Will definitely check out the links shared. The plan is to share lots of photos whenever I get started with my new project. I enjoy the work as a relaxing activity since it is so different than what I spend most of my day doing

• Like 1

You are probably getting into the hobby at a great time to get what you are seeking.

At age 28 you are unusual, as was I, at your age always being attracted to old stuff be it cars, tractors and antiques in general.

I'm glad you are getting an early start instead of waiting till age 58 (I'll be 68 very soon) to indulge your car habit but, as I said, I had other hobbies and nobody can afford TOO many hobbies which is probably a good thing........ 😏

• Like 1

I saw on this forum under cars for sale a 31 Franklin that runs,is in Fl.( Naples) and is air cooled which I thought is cool.I heard he would sell it for $6000 which sounds like a good deal. I'm in East central Fl.and am redoing a 35 Buick that I bought when I was your age in Illinois,I paid $300 for it back then but that was in the 70s.Greg.

Definitely interested in the semi-local '31 Franklin. I reached out to the ad last Thursday, and got prompt but somewhat terse answers to my questions. I then asked about discussing the car over the phone but did not hear back after that. It apparently drives and stops enough to get on a trailer. Sent a follow up email this afternoon so time to wait and see what happens. It's over budget, but driving, stopping, and less than a day's round trip is worth something too. Hopefully they'll get back to me

I know you don't know me but I wouldn't mind going with you if you pick it up,Id like to see it and it would be a nice road trip . Maby I could help load it on the trailer. Greg.I'm retired and bored,not really I've been redoing my old Buick.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...