Question from an old crank

Restorer32

Was there ever a car built in the Brass Era that you turned the crank counter clockwise rather than clockwise to start?  Enquiring minds want to know. Question came up as we were assembling a '24 Citroen engine with "dippers" on the con rods. I say NO since majority of people are right handed.

Four cylinder "15hp" Napier were reverse rotation up to about sometime late 1912; whereas all the larger cars were conventional rotation.  The small 2 cylinder variant of the small four were likely counter clockwise also, though I have not had a chance to question an owner.  When they changed the rotation, and flipped over the side of the crown wheel in the back axle, it was said by some to have been co-incident with the termination of the commercial; association between Montague Napier and S.F.Edge.  I have seen no documentation of that.   Many of the 15hp fours were used as taxis, and there may have been some tradition of reverse rotation in other makes used as taxis.  The 1911 I have is very soundly engineered.  There is full pressure oil to the crankshaft, with sensible dimensions of crankpins and main bearings.  There is an adjustable oil pressure relief to the main feed, and the earliest full flow oil filter I have seen.  This is brass wire gauze, which might collect the biggest debris.

9 hours ago, dibarlaw said:

I believe the earliest Oakland 2 cylinder cars were counterclockwise.

Since we are talking about cars with names starting with "O" how did the "ONLY" you were working on turn out?

Working on it as fast as we can given the financial constraints on the project. 

12 hours ago, dibarlaw said:

I believe the earliest Oakland 2 cylinder cars were counterclockwise.

Since we are talking about cars with names starting with "O" how did the "ONLY" you were working on turn out?

Early 4 cylinder Oaklands also cranked that way also.  One of our local club members had one.

Terry

IMG_9669.JPG