Showing engine (BOTH Sides) at a show?

Crazyfamily

I’d like to occasionally put my car in a show here and there,  I was thinking.... I know that’s dangerous!

Ive seen on some Fords have an aftermarket hood prop, looks stock, that will allow you to put both sides of your hood (ours is a 1927 Buick Standard) up at the same time without risk of them falling down and causing any damage.

Does anyone make something like this or have a life hack to accomplish this for the cars like ours?

https://www.mikes-afordable.com/product/A16613C.html

The picture is for example.....

10B78C27-3460-4876-B1DB-5EABA070DBF3.jpeg

0CF76F39-F2E1-442E-ADF0-4E6DC1F43545.png

What's wrong with that pre-made Model A setup? At $25 it seems like an easy decision. It should handle your Buick hood without any problems. We get all kinds of cars in our shop with those installed and they work pretty well. As long as you have the support rods from the firewall to the radiator, that's all it needs. The Buick is a little bigger, but that only means you mount the bracket farther forward to accommodate it. Easy!

• Like 2

Thanks for the comment Matt, my Buick only has one rod that goes from the firewall to the radiator.....

So unless the hood was balanced perfectly it wouldn’t be very solid!

i was curious if anyone else uses something like this and if so what it would be....

The screw and bolt that hold the front of the hood to the radiator can be replaced with a clip, when you pull the clip the hood comes off so easily. Or just bring a screwdriver to the show, it can't take more than 30 seconds to remove the hood completely.

One problem with the plan of removing the hood on our 1924-1928 style cars is that it is HEAVY and AWKWARD. There are inner brackets rivetted to the lower louvered sides to prop the hood up in place while working on the engine. These brackets then rest on the cowl welting. This works well in normal operation. BUT... On several occasions I have forgotten about leaving the hood open in that position. Then while working on something elsewhere on the car causing any motion the hood slipped and ….CRASH! It never happened before I painted the hood, sills and fenders!  Luckily no visible damage. At a car show it is nice to show off a nicely detailed engine. But in my opinion I hated the look of the rows of cars with gaping hoods. Then there is also the problem of a quick breeze to cause a collapse.

• Like 2

William, 

Velcro double sided self grip wrap is great stuff to have around.  On our hoods there is a V shaped rest that sits on the cowl lacing.  Make one loop to go around the radiator support rod and thru the V shaped rest.  That would prevent the hood from falling down from a strong wind.  Do both sides the same way.    Hugh

https://www.amazon.com/VELCRO-Brand-ONE-WRAP-Double-Sided-Multi-Purpose/dp/B00JWU77N2/ref=pd_bxgy_328_img_3/146-9574693-6904069?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00JWU77N2&pd_rd_r=fbf8d4dc-ae8a-44ac-a056-d600bf97639e&pd_rd_w=11KlD&pd_rd_wg=JAUtE&pf_rd_p=a2006322-0bc0-4db9-a08e-d168c18ce6f0&pf_rd_r=ZYBDR80BQ1C6W2XKMBXJ&psc=1&refRID=ZYBDR80BQ1C6W2XKMBXJ

How about a simple bracket made of some relatively stiff metal and maybe an inch wide. Bend it into this shape:

Bracket.thumb.jpg.615191a8fc8b2c31191e120d80cd5c91.jpg

Then you can hang it over the center brace from the firewall to the radiator and hook your hood sides on it. It might take two people to do it so it doesn't flip around when you secure the first side (or you could secure it somehow), but it would be completely removable and hold the hood in place without worries about it falling. It won't hold it open all the way, but if you bend it right (maybe make the central angle a little less acute), it'll hold the hood high enough to give spectators a clear view of the engine.

• Like 1

X2 on Matt's idea, and I think he has the center angle pretty close.

You have to be able to hang one side at a time, without pulling the hanger off your center rod so it look like something around 30 degrees or less would be wise.

Of course you'll need to play with lengths, to get the sides up at the right height that you like and that are safe.

Looks like you are on your way to developing a marketable product.

Just needs a bit of fine tuning.

I'm sure Matt will tell you where to send his commission check.

Mike in Colorado

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Crazyfamily said:

I’d like to occasionally put my car in a show here and there,  I was thinking.... I know that’s dangerous!

Ive seen on some Fords have an aftermarket hood prop, looks stock, that will allow you to put both sides of your hood (ours is a 1927 Buick Standard) up at the same time without risk of them falling down and causing any damage.

Does anyone make something like this or have a life hack to accomplish this for the cars like ours?

https://www.mikes-afordable.com/product/A16613C.html

The picture is for example.....

10B78C27-3460-4876-B1DB-5EABA070DBF3.jpeg

I have something similar to the item you linked to and it works really well for one side. I can't recall if I've ever left both sides up. I'll give it a try when I am home and let you know if it works.

10 hours ago, Crazyfamily said:

What is this witchcraft and wizardry you speak of Morgan?  

Have a picture of this type of clip?

Maybe it's different with a 1918. All that hold the hood on is a pin in a socket, in the back, and one screw in the front. The whole hood weighs about 10 pounds.

I have a "hood holder" as shown in 64C's post, on my '31 Chrysler Imperial, as it has the "X" type radiator rods.

Bought it from Bert's Model "A" shop in Denver.

It just barely does the job for that heavy hood covering a straight 8, on a very still day, or in the shop.

Slightest breeze and down the hood goes.

I could probably build a heavier version, now that I know the dimensions, but just have not gotten around to it.

Mike in Colorado

• Like 1

Personally I don't like the look of both sides of the hood opened at once.

I too have tried propping the hood halfway open and resting it on the cowl ledge and yes, it has slammed down at the wrong time.  Luckily, no injuries and no damage, but never again.

One side at a time for display.  Alternate sides at different shows.  If someone who SHOWS INTEREST wants to see the other side, it takes seconds to lower one side and raise the other and often attracts more attention and interested parties as you do so.

Or leave the hood down, and wait for someone who SHOWS INTEREST and would appreciate it, to show off the engine compartment detail.  That also avoids having to hear people laugh at the silly flat fan belt, not even realizing what they are looking at and that you can drive without it, unlike their serpentine belt drives everything modern car. 

Ignorant people who laugh at the wood spoke wheels and say "flat head?" are often in awe when I explain the original engine has overhead valves, roller cam lifters, and gear driven generator and water pump, things mostly unheard of these days in a production car.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 27donb said:

Personally I don't like the look of both sides of the hood opened at once.

I too have tried propping the hood halfway open and resting it on the cowl ledge and yes, it has slammed down at the wrong time.  Luckily, no injuries and no damage, but never again.

One side at a time for display.  Alternate sides at different shows.  If someone who SHOWS INTEREST wants to see the other side, it takes seconds to lower one side and raise the other and often attracts more attention and interested parties as you do so.

Or leave the hood down, and wait for someone who SHOWS INTEREST and would appreciate it, to show off the engine compartment detail.  That also avoids having to hear people laugh at the silly flat fan belt, not even realizing what they are looking at and that you can drive without it, unlike their serpentine belt drives everything modern car. 

Ignorant people who laugh at the wood spoke wheels and say "flat head?" are often in awe when I explain the original engine has overhead valves, roller cam lifters, and gear driven generator and water pump, things mostly unheard of these days in a production car.

To each his own for sure, I personally think it looks nice to show off what I work hard for and on but hey that's why they make Chocolate and Vanilla ice cream right?  lol......

• Like 2

I often wish that shows would have a "Put the hoods down" timeframe.  The lines on these car with the hoods open and trunk lids up are ruined and also those that want photos don't have  an opportunity to get good shots.

Hoods up and trunk lids open in the real world mean the car broke down.  

Bob Engle

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Robert Engle said:

I often wish that shows would have a "Put the hoods down" timeframe.  The lines on these car with the hoods open and trunk lids up are ruined and also those that want photos don't have  an opportunity to get good shots.

Hoods up and trunk lids open in the real world mean the car broke down.  

Bob Engle

I have an old VW Beetle that I take to shows too, and I have a nice set of Hazet tools under the hood I would like to display someday, but so far I have not for that very reason.  Having the hood up on the VW ruins the display look of the car in my opinion. 

I am going to try a small shrink wrapped “Rare Earth Magnet”  on both the lip of the cowl and the lip on the radiator end of the hood on both sides and see if the strength (which is extremely strong) of the magnet will securely hold the hood in place!

That way I can achieve what I want holding the hood open at shows and then easily remove all remnants of what holds the hood sides open when I am ready to close everything up!

Whats also cool about this is if it works as it should then when I take the magnets off I can just attach them to the firewall and close hood and secure it and the magnets will stay there till I need to do this again or want to securely hold the hood open in place if I am servicing the car!

i will report the outcome when I give it a try....

Please keep the ideas coming and tell me what you think about the magnet idea I came up with as well.....

Thanks again everyone, I appreciate everyone’s input....

William

”Crazyfamily “