1948 Tucker "Prototype"

Mark Huston

Maybe some of you have already seen this online auction for the what is being advertised as a 1948 Tucker Convertible "prototype".   It has a buy it now of price of $2,198,100.00

I find the asking price very optimistic for a car that was not built in 1948 and was not built by Tucker.  Or, am I missing something?    

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1948-Tucker-Convertible-Tucker-Convertible-1-of-1-Only-10-ORIGINAL-MILES/223589923198?hash=item340eff797e:g:u0IAAOSwlJBbz9b6

Tucker.jpg

Wow! There are some pretty bad details on that car. For over 2 million, I would expect the lines in the upholstery to be more straight. I would also expect the padding on the top of the doors to line up with the padding on the dash pad. Am I wrong?

Y'know, if you can get past all the pedigree (or lack of) issues and the ridiculous asking price, I think it's a pretty neat car. Would be great for a day cruise on Sunset.

Edited by GregLaR (see edit history)

Don't worry, it'll be back. It has been for sale for a ridiculous amount of money for years now. Seller keeps treating the buying public like idiots and expecting everyone to believe a story that is 1% fact and 99% BS and agree that a made-up car is actually the 49th Tucker, and a convertible at that!

It's interesting, it might be well built, but if it isn't real and documented and with a bulletproof paper trail, seven figures is completely out of the question, no matter what it purports to be. Wealthy fools don't exist, despite what everyone likes to think.

I remember a Duesenberg J dual cowl phaeton a few years ago that sold for like $460,000 in fully restored condition. Turns out it had repro frame rails, an engine from one car, a bellhousing from a different car, a reproduction body. Looked like a Duesenberg. Smelled like a Duesenberg. Drove like a Duesenberg. Would pass as a Duesenberg to at any show where they weren't checking serial numbers. But it was 15-20% of the price of a "real" one.

That's where this Tucker lives and the guy who built it keeps hoping for a rich sucker to believe his BS.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

I remember a Duesenberg J dual cowl phaeton a few years ago that sold for like $460,000 in fully restored condition. Turns out it had repro frame rails, an engine from one car, a bellhousing from a different car, a reproduction body. Looked like a Duesenberg. Smelled like a Duesenberg. Drove like a Duesenberg. Would pass as a Duesenberg to at any show where they weren't checking serial numbers. But it was 15-20% of the price of a "real" one.

Another reason you can’t trust public auction prices. Last year there was a similar marque high end car with older restoration that looked like it publicly sold for 50 cents on the dollar.  Looked like a deal unless you knew the real story.  

They ought to take it around to malls, put it in a tent, and have a sign that reads: 

$10 To See The Only Tucker Convertible!

When I was a kid they did the same thing with what were supposed to be Bonnie & Clyde's death car and Russian President Stalin's orange limo.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)