80 Shay Super Deluxe

I have always found these interesting, Not for me but never the less interesting.

I remember them when they were new.

Are they now considered a vintage replica of a vintage car being over 25 years old?

This one looks to be in good shape, low miles and not a bad price.

On 6/30/2019 at 11:48 AM, JACK M said:

I have always found these interesting, Not for me but never the less interesting.

I remember them when they were new.

Are they now considered a vintage replica of a vintage car being over 25 years old?

This one looks to be in good shape, low miles and not a bad price.

In addition to roadsters, Shay made replicas of the 29 Model A roadster pickup, a few C-cab panel trucks, and the 55 T-bird.  Camelot Motors, their successor, added a phaeton - it is a "phantom" as it has two doors whereas the 29 Model A has four.

The Shay Owners Club International is fairly active - like most hobby cars, there are purists and hot rodders.  ;)

https://www.shaymodelaclub.com/

5 hours ago, Ed Luddy said:

I had one very briefly. Thought of changing the wheels to 15 inch and adding a turbo off my 87 Turbo T Bird. But a friend wanted it more than I wanted to keep it.

Or, you could put in a Cosworth BDA.....

11 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Why do I giggle at the idea of a Shay Model A "purist?"

Maybe because, like most antique auto elitists, you consider the Shay not a "real" Model A.  But it never was represented as anything other than a reproduction - says so on the radiator badge..  There are owners who bristle at their car being called a Model A, kit car, etc.  They are quick to inform you it is a factory-built SHAY.  And they're equally quick to condemn as sacrilege any modification they consider hot-rodding the cars.  They may not own Model A's but they sure sound like "purists."

These cars remind me of the actors and actresses who have lots of talent and do shows mimicking dead or past stars.  They have enough talent to be famous in their own right but spend it reminding us of others.  Shay could have built a car of their own design rather than tread on Henry's work.

1 hour ago, JACK M said:

How long do you suppose this guys wheels will hold up?

Good question....  I'm kind of surprised it doesn't have '35 ford wires. Were wood wheels even a thing on Model A Fords? I don't think I have ever seen one.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

Wood wheels were an aftermarket item available for model A Fords.  Very scarce.  Have only seen pictures of them. I suspect that the wheels on that car are not wood, but something else.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2019 at 12:01 PM, JACK M said:

How long do you suppose this guys wheels will hold up?

On 7/2/2019 at 1:48 PM, Bloo said:

Good question....  I'm kind of surprised it doesn't have '35 ford wires. Were wood wheels even a thing on Model A Fords? I don't think I have ever seen one.

On 7/2/2019 at 5:26 PM, 60ch said:

Wood wheels were an aftermarket item available for model A Fords.  Very scarce.  Have only seen pictures of them. I suspect that the wheels on that car are not wood, but something else.

IIRC, the wheels on that car are modern custom-made steel with painted woodgrain.

Edited by CHuDWah (see edit history)