This came up on craigs list.

Brooklyn Beer

With all that water staining on the head liner, that shows that the roof has been leaking for quite awhile. That often means there's rot in the roof rails that will need to be repaired/replaced before it will have a good surface to attach new top material to. Seen it and fixed it many times.

Paul.

Yes indeed Paul.  Way out of my league for a Franklin starter car.  I have some searches I do and this popped up.  A shame it has been left to rot when it used to be someones pride and joy.  By the wording in the add you can basically tell it is most likely an inherited car and put out to pasture when garage space was no longer available.  Sad. a good tarp would have helped some what as they decided what to do with it.  Basically the year and style I am looking for.

"Parts Car" may be too harsh, but someone has pretty much destroyed what was probably a pretty nice car not too long ago and turned it into a serious restoration project - this car looks even to have a club badge on the headlight cross car and looks to have been on the road not all that long ago.  A car like this should never have been parked out under cover or not - that is what garages are for and new owners who have garages.   The brown 1930 145 sedan on Club Website has been parked out since Thanksgiving too - in Florida too = not good. 

On 6/26/2019 at 5:01 PM, Povertycove said:

John...worse. That 1930 sedan sat outside since about July of last year, under the Florida sun and rain. The good thing is that the top never leaked, at least not is anyway that you’d notice. But a year outside in Florida isnt good.

I thought about saving it, but did not want to offend them w/a low price (they are very nice kids of the prior owner who I think is deceased), but then we went full-bore into doing an Auburn and best to finish that first.  The fellow and his sister did find all the parts missing off of it (plus nice sidemount mirrors and ...) and the car does appear to be a good base product, is running, and probably still can be cleaned up ! 

3 minutes ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

Who is making interiors for this series these days?  Or is it all custom work ?

All custom work, but Franklins have pretty plain interiors (keep in mind that in 1930 that plain is modern and fussy is old fashioned).  

I really would be tempted to do the 1930 145  brown sedan on the club site - very nice car and can be detailed to be most presentable.  Offer them 8K, clean it up and see if you can live with it and if not then put it back out via such as bringatrailer.com, hemmings, or ...  Interior is original and scruffy, but still respectable and some of the chrome needs done but will pass for a while.  As complete a car as they come (better than some well restored cars too).  

On 6/26/2019 at 6:58 PM, auburnseeker said:

The original car in this thread definitely has alot of water damage inside.  Look at those sail panels, enough so even the rear seat is stained.  I wouldn't be surprised if you found rot in the rear seat area when you pulled everything apart. 

Generally speaking water tends to be an issue related to drains regarding side rear quarter windows and rear wndow seals. 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

5 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

All custom work, but Franklins have pretty plain interiors (keep in mind that in 1930 that plain is modern and fussy is old fashioned).  

I really would be tempted to do the 1930 145  brown sedan on the club site - very nice car and can be detailed to be most presentable.  Offer them 8K, clean it up and see if you can live with it and if not then put it back out via such as bringatrailer.com, hemmings, or ...  Interior is original and scruffy, but still respectable and some of the chrome needs done but will pass for a while.  As complete a car as they come (better than some well restored cars too).  

They still have it listed at 25k.  I think if I offered 8k they would drop the phone and laugh !

20 minutes ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

They still have it listed at 25k.  I think if I offered 8k they would drop the phone and laugh !

I do not think such will be the case.  It is worth 8k to 10K, unfortunately no more.  They were very open to pricing in our email and photo exchanges - I just took on another project and did not need to be the one to have the discussion with them knowing I would not be buying.   The wire wheels, sidemounts, and luggage rack are nice !

I would say the craigslist car at start of this thread is worth 6-7 (it is a 153 which is the high end car, but it is base equipment with wooden wheels and a rear mount  spare) - looks very water stained too (not too far gone, but I would be on the low side).  It sports a club badge and it has Custom Classic tires - looks like it was a running car that someone started trying to paint on.   Very complete too.

• 1 month later...