New Muffler for '63 Riv w 425?

QTRiv

Does anyone have ideas about finding a new muffler (R) for '63 Riviera with 425? Our muffler mechanic replaced the Left a few years ago and thinks that manufacturer stopped making them. Any clue to a new source would be helpful.

If you're talking about the "left" muffler, you're either refering to the resonator or someone has reworked the entire system.  Your Riviera came from the factory with a dual inlet / outlet crossflow muffler.  Either way, Waldrons is a good resource.  There are a lot of Rivieras running around out there with resonator eliminator pipes

18 hours ago, QTRiv said:

Does anyone have ideas about finding a new muffler (R) for '63 Riviera with 425? Our muffler mechanic replaced the Left a few years ago and thinks that manufacturer stopped making them. Any clue to a new source would be helpful.

QTRiv, there is a gent in MO I can call to see if he still has the two I saw for sale. Pat says Waldron has your muffler and they for sure will have why you need.

Just let me know, trying to help out.

Turbinator

21 hours ago, RivNut said:

If you're talking about the "left" muffler, you're either refering to the resonator or someone has reworked the entire system.  Your Riviera came from the factory with a dual inlet / outlet crossflow muffler.  Either way, Waldrons is a good resource.  There are a lot of Rivieras running around out there with resonator eliminator pipes

How do these cars sound with the resonators eliminated?

1 hour ago, jframe said:

How do these cars sound with the resonators eliminated?

When I had my exhaust done I went with the 65 GS pipe layout as opposed to the 63 pipe layout. There are fewer bends. They just used an original dual inlet/outlet crossflow muffler and did not go with the resonators. My muffler guy was ecstatic as he had been saving that muffler for 35 years knowing that a Riviera would show up some day. The car is quiet and has a nice mellow rumble at idle to let you know there is nice Buick V8 under the hood.

Bill

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Riviera63 said:

When I had my exhaust done I went with the 65 GS pipe layout as opposed to the 63 pipe layout. There are fewer bends. They just used an original dual inlet/outlet crossflow muffler and did not go with the resonators. My muffler guy was ecstatic as he had been saving that muffler for 35 years knowing that a Riviera would show up some day. The car is quiet and has a nice mellow rumble at idle to let you know there is nice Buick V8 under the hood.

Bill

I put a GS style system on mine when I replaced it, but I used the resonators. Maybe I need to find some eliminators and try them out.

I made a concession on mine last time (although I have old stock factory stuff, just in case). I put a full sized equalizer pipe where the muffler went and two 12" Hushpowers at the rear of the quarter panel. Has a nice Chris Craft sound when idling.

1507902572_a009.thumb.jpg.78cddb78097c73d981fc6b1c254f64e9.jpg

On the Waldron muffler you will get two flat plates where the three bolt ball socket joint was on the original. It won't be compatible with any original parts. I have also found that they make a minimal sealing flange on their pipes that didn't work well and you might have the MIG the joints for a seal.

I keep a search with notifications going for manufactured exhaust parts for my cars. I have most of the spares now. By manufactured I mean factory built, not shop fabricated. The quality is much higher and worth the effort.

Bernie

I'm not that impressed with waldron's. I had the '66 mustang arvinode system on my 67 coupe, and the mufflers lasted about a year before they started to rattle. One, then the other. The internal baffles welds broke or something. Sounded great before that.

My Riv came with a pair of short glasspacks, sounds like a nascar. I'm looking to put the largest "turbo" mufflers I can at the tail to get it quieter.