56 with annoying squeak from behind dash

56 Buick

Hi all, there is an annoying repetitive squeak coming from somewhere behind the dash while driving and I wondered whether anyone else has come across the issue. I dont seem to notice it when i take my foot off the gas and i cant see what it might be. I thought it may be the speedo or cable but that makes no sense that the squeak would stop when i take my foot off the gas as the cable would still be spinning. Any suggestions appreciated. I have the crash pad off at the moment so this is the ideal time to fix the issue if i can. Thanks, Drew.

I have the exact same problem that recently started on my 57.  Only happens when I accelerate which seems odd.  I was thinking maybe it was a u-joint, but no shaking and front is lubricated by trans fluid so wouldn't squeak, and I don't think it's coming from the rear.  Plus, with rear being enclosed I don't think grease would totally dry out.  So next I was thinking speedo cable.  I oiled my speedo cable about 6 years ago when it got noisy and it worked all this time, but I recall it sounded a bit different, although I am not sure that means much.

I started thinking though, that perhaps if the torque from acceleration causes the transmission to move enough, this could cause the cable to flex enough to allow rubbing in a dried out area of the cable and cause this sound, especially if the trans and motor mounts are weak, which mine probably are as they are still original (even though car has only 57,xxx miles).

I think the easiest thing to do is try to lubricate the speedometer cable and see if that does the trick.  That's what I am planning to do in a few weeks unless a different conclusion is drawn on this thread.  I'm feeling certain we have the same thing going on.

16 hours ago, jackofalltrades70 said:

Find and lubricate all of the accelerator linkage points. I had the same problem with my 56’ and ended up being the problem.  

Matt

If his problem sounds like mine, it is clearly the sound of a "spinning squeak" that is repetitive, unlike a squeak that would be caused by linkage.

My squeak is definitely repetitive. I never really thought of it before but the torque on a speedo cable may cause touching - maybe even cause the outside of the cable to touch something behind the dash and cause the squeak. Thanks

On a '56, sometimes I've had the rod attached to back of accelerator pedal rub against the edge of the hole in the toe board where it goes out to the engine. That can make a loud, high-pitched squeak on acceleration, especially if motor mounts are getting soft or weak.

Pete Phillips, BCA# 7338

• Like 2

A metal cased longer than the oem speedo cable will amplify the noise as it did in my case. The extra few inches will create a "bend" right behind the cluster and the metal from the dash acted like a "speaker", on or off the gas.  I lubed the crap out of it and problem fixed. My plastic cased old speedo cable did not have this issue.

The crash pad is off so that certainly makes it easier to see behind the instrument panel. But it seems this will take some time to try all possible issues and complete a process of elimination. When I have an answer I will post back. Thanks

On 5/9/2019 at 8:51 PM, 56 Buick said:

The crash pad is off so that certainly makes it easier to see behind the instrument panel. But it seems this will take some time to try all possible issues and complete a process of elimination. When I have an answer I will post back. Thanks

If you have the top off the dash, loosen the speedo cable from the cluster, squirt some lubricant inside, hook it back up and go for a test drive.  Good chance that will be problem solved!

The way that many older vehicles were designed, cables and throttle linkages went through open holes with plenty of clearance so that moving parts didn't touch the body metal.  Sometimes, some rubber plugs they went through, sometimes it was something more bristly instead, to block most of the underhood sounds, smells, or heat.

In the case of hard linkages or cables, perhaps some split vacuum hose can be secured to the inner part of the offending holes/aperatures so the contact is not metal/metal.  Or perhaps to the "moving" item itself.  Secured with a few small black wire ties and/or adhesive.

AND, for good measure, tighten EVERY nut/bolt in the instrument panel structure AND where it bolts to the cowl  and kick panel areas.  Taking additional flex out of the equation might make chasing any left squeaks/rattles more precise.  Be sure to do this with the car on FLAT surfaces only.  Just "snug 'em up".

From there, when time and energy allows, continue to methodically work over the rest of the car, section by section, bumper to bumper.  Including the body mounts.  You might be surprised!  No matter the make or model or age.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

My Wife and I were looking a a 1960's 2 Series BMW years ago. It would squeak just sitting there. I bounced the suspension, checked under the hood, did it all. When we walked away thinking about fixing it the mother weasel ran over and methodically took four squeaks away, one by one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Hi,

I have a 51 Roadmaster, it had that most annoying squeak underdash

well after 4 years I found it.

Heck Ive asked everyone but.

it was hood rubbers. Open hood. Look at windshield, dab a little grease on hood contact points

near windshield. A friend had a Buick same problem, looked at mine saw the rub marks

hell I knew by friction points I saw

you call me if it works. This came to me by accident .

this blew my mind

Steve

781-422-4189

Thanks for the further info on possible causes. It certainly could be any one of the suggestions. I will get back to the investigation soon but unfortunately I am currently sidetracked with a motorcycle engine rebuild. I will let you know.

Cheers, Drew

• Like 2

• 8 months later...