Wings or no wings..... 1932 Chrysler

Jimmy S

As I go through the boxes of parts yet to put on the 1932 Chrysler CI that I recently inherited, I found the wing windows (now completely restored) that were on the car when my father bought it in 1961.  I'm not sure that I like them, do they belong on the car? Not sure I've seen them on another one?

wings or not.jpg

1.jpg

I'm almost always a "NO" on doodads.   Wind wings are the least of the crimes committed against these cars with Trippe Lights and accessory horns being much worse.

So,  I guess it is your call and a coin flip.   If they were originally on the car,  I would lean yes,  and if not I would lean no.

• Like 1

If a factory accessory, yes, if aftermarket no. Having had them on my 32 Pierce and 31 Caddy,  both sport coupes, they are helpful. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I am not a real fan of "wind wings" but when you have driven as many miles as I have in a '30's car they do serve a purpose.  They deflect the wind that blows over the driver's shoulder directly into a rear seat passenger.  With all seven windows open, wind wings make driving across deserts in July comfortable.  Last but not least if you have them nice and clean the right one actually becomes a mirror and isn't as obvious as a right hand peep mirror.

I think your car looks gorgeous without them.

The 1931 Franklin victoria brougham I owned for over 40 years had wind wings installed when new by the original owner. It had a Derham body on it, so the Franklin factory accessories catalog would not show what to use (as stock factory coachwork was built by Walker) . It depends upon the style of the body, and if "aftermarket" wind wings , the level of quality of design and manufacture. They do help circulate or deflect the air  and are not just decorative . Drive your car in 80+ degree heat in the summer months to get to a week long club event that is a 6 hour trip away from home and you welcome the breeze that the wind wings can scoop in !

• Like 1