Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Sorry, Tom. It should have said early mirror placement or early mirror location. And not that I could find them, but I have seen pictures of the mirror reinforcement inside the door skin on this site.

Edited by steelman (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, steelman said:

Sorry, Tom. It should have said early mirror placement or early mirror location. And not that I could find them, but I have seen pictures of the mirror reinforcement inside the door skin on this site.

Hi Steve,

  Like I stated...not saying a reinforcement doesnt exist, I just cant document it with the parts I have on hand. I would love to see a pic.

  Does your car, with the rearward mirror mounting have the 4F code for a factory installed mirror?

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Short answer would be no, but I think 63 is different. Mine says:

D  I6  N2  S  Z4

4980A4FF-9E89-427F-9D3B-A846795AD746.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, steelman said:

Short answer would be no, but I think 63 is different. Mine says:

D  I6  N2  S  Z4

4980A4FF-9E89-427F-9D3B-A846795AD746.jpeg

Oh yes, sorry. I was quoting the code system which started early in `64. And your mirror was adjacent to the vent window division channel and not forward on the door? Thanks!

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's difficult to read because I took the picture with a flash but here's a photo of the data plate on my '63.  Build date 01D (fourth week of January) and in the options stampings you can read an S before the U8,  (Option code U6 was power windows and U7 was power vents,  combined on the data plate they become the U8.)

 

But the S references a remote mirror installed at the factory.

 

I do not have any digital picture of my '63 and I can't find the prints so I cannot, at this time, tell you about the mirror placement, but in my mind, I think it's forward.

 

100_4332.thumb.JPG.fcf1efd0be64f30599be33db93e70e54.JPG

 

goes along with the window sticker

 

1579883308_1963Windowsticker.JPG.ec74c3b9187baec297c0dc139baf33d2.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 12:59 PM, 1965rivgs said:

  I have about 20 drivers side door skins I`ve accumulated over the years including the NOS example pictured. I checked them when this point was raised previously in another thread but couldnt find one with a reinforcement for the mirror. Keep in mind most of the door skins are likely to be `65`s but a significant sampling are `63-`64. I`m not saying Buick never made a door skin with the reinforcement, but I`ve never seen one.

  Would have been a great idea though as the screws for the base have a tendency to want to pull out of the sheetmetal.

Tom M

 

20190408_114355.jpg

 

I haven't seen near as many door skins as Tom, but of the ones I have seen, there was NO reinforcement in place for the mirror either, just the door handle reinforcement.

 

This might be a picture from the thread you recalled Tom? I believe it was someone asking about measurements for mounting the mirror on a '65 and I have this skin from one with a factory installed remote mirror.

 

IMG_4061-4.thumb.JPG.36128bbce8c0e46f3c3b70f7eff90204.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having just replaced my mirror I can confirm that my door skin did not have any additional reinforcement for the mirror.  It was simply held on by two self tapping screens and the threaded stud/nut on the mirror itself.  I would like to also point out that the replacement tri-shield mirror purchased from CARS did have to be modified slightly to work if anybody chooses to use this in the future.  The bracket holes did not quite line up with the original holes on the door so I had to drill a new hole in the bracket itself.  I still plan to replace the original mirror somewhere down the line, just needed to get something that was quick and easy to install for the shows this year.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, MY64RIVIERA said:

Having just replaced my mirror I can confirm that my door skin did not have any additional reinforcement for the mirror.  It was simply held on by two self tapping screens and the threaded stud/nut on the mirror itself.  I would like to also point out that the replacement tri-shield mirror purchased from CARS did have to be modified slightly to work if anybody chooses to use this in the future.  The bracket holes did not quite line up with the original holes on the door so I had to drill a new hole in the bracket itself.  I still plan to replace the original mirror somewhere down the line, just needed to get something that was quick and easy to install for the shows this year.  

Hi Robert,

 

  The holes were never intended to line up as the mounting brackets for the remote and manual mirrors are different. Whether the factory installed the mirror (remote only) or the dealer (remote or manual) the mirror kits came with a template that was used as a guide to drill holes. So, it makes perfect sense that the holes would not be the same for both mirror styles.

 

Tom Mooney

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...