Well, the time has finally come....

Garysriv

It's been almost a year since I bought my '65 out of a garage where it was just sitting since 1975.  I tried to resurrect it without a motor tear down, but it would only run for 30 seconds then seize up due to a lack of cylinder lubrication.  Today I will finish up the motor assembly and targeting Wednesday to drop it in.  High level of confidence as it all gauged out good, and I checked oiling at every stage.  Fingers crossed.

0225191108.jpg

0225191107.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, pyntre said:

That vinyl top is killer looking !!! 

Yeah, it's weird because its brown and im told they only came in black, but it looks factory.  Maybe dealer installed.  I'm the third owner, the lady I bought it from said it was on there when they bought the car used from a dealer.

55 minutes ago, Garysriv said:

Yeah, it's weird because its brown and im told they only came in black, but it looks factory.  Maybe dealer installed.  I'm the third owner, the lady I bought it from said it was on there when they bought the car used from a dealer.

Post some pictures of the trim around the vinyl top at the sail panels and the bottom of the rear window.  It should be easy to tell if the trim is factory or aftermarket.  Your Fisher Body plate would have a 2 after the paint code if the car originally came wit a vinyl top.  I had a friend here in the Kansas City area who painted his 65 a mint green and put a white vinyl top on it.  It looked really good, especially with the white interior.  Nothing factory about it but it was a striking car.

2 hours ago, Garysriv said:

It's been almost a year since I bought my '65 out of a garage where it was just sitting since 1975.  I tried to resurrect it without a motor tear down, but it would only run for 30 seconds then seize up due to a lack of cylinder lubrication.  Today I will finish up the motor assembly and targeting Wednesday to drop it in.  High level of confidence as it all gauged out good, and I checked oiling at every stage.  Fingers crossed.

0225191108.jpg

0225191107.jpg

Hi Gary,

So, there was no oil pressure in the old motor?

Tom

51 minutes ago, 1965rivgs said:

Hi Gary,

So, there was no oil pressure in the old motor?

Tom

No, it had oil pressure.  I just got a lot of warnings from Russ at Centerville Auto about inserting galley plugs too far, or not having the front cam bearing 3 holes perfectly lined up or the rocker arms would not oil.  Due to that I filled the engine with oil and used a drill on the oil pump shaft at various stages.  On the last stage I got lots of oil into the rocker arms shafts and dripping back into the head.  

3 hours ago, RivNut said:

Post some pictures of the trim around the vinyl top at the sail panels and the bottom of the rear window.  It should be easy to tell if the trim is factory or aftermarket.  Your Fisher Body plate would have a 2 after the paint code if the car originally came wit a vinyl top.  I had a friend here in the Kansas City area who painted his 65 a mint green and put a white vinyl top on it.  It looked really good, especially with the white interior.  Nothing factory about it but it was a striking car.

Think I've posted this pic before of the rear of the brown vinyl top. If I had my druthers I'd prefer no vinyl top, but I cant imagine the nightmare of removing it. It goes pretty good with the Sahara Mist....

0225191636.jpg

4 minutes ago, Garysriv said:

Think I've posted this pic before of the rear of the brown vinyl top. If I had my druthers I'd prefer no vinyl top, but I cant imagine the nightmare of removing it. It goes pretty good with the Sahara Mist....

0225191636.jpg

Definitely an after market top.  The factory top did not have the "vent" under the window and the trim around the bottom was completely different starting under the rear quarter window.  But, it still compliments the car nicely.

CARS-11.JPG

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, KongaMan said:

The whole process would be a lot easier if you take out the grill, core support, etc.  It only takes a few minutes, and you'll be working in a much more stable and accessible environment with a lower risk of incidental damage.

I'll take a look.  I pulled it out over everything and it was pretty stable.  We'll see.

2 hours ago, Garysriv said:

I'll take a look.  I pulled it out over everything and it was pretty stable.  We'll see.

If you remove the core support, el al, you don't have to raise the engine so high (center of gravity on your hoist) and you won't have to tilt the engine so dramatically to shoehorn it in (no worries about breaking the distributor.)  It's well worth your time.

If it came out , it will go back in the same way ,,, just take your time and hopefully you have a few careful buddies to give you a hand ! I just threw an iron headed big block in my chevelle with my 16 year old son ,,  15 minutes bolted in place ... 

• Like 1

No one said you can’t do things the hard way. ;)

Remember, there’s no precision required to pull a motor, but you have to line things up when it’s going back in.  To that end, you might move the flex plate and torque converter into rough alignment while they’re both easy to access.

8 hours ago, KongaMan said:

No one said you can’t do things the hard way. ;)

Remember, there’s no precision required to pull a motor, but you have to line things up when it’s going back in.  To that end, you might move the flex plate and torque converter into rough alignment while they’re both easy to access.

Probably done this 50 times at least, usually solo.  Converter spins easy from underneath, flex plate turned by the crank.  Start to bolted in I'd say an hour tops.

15 hours ago, RivNut said:

Definitely an after market top.  The factory top did not have the "vent" under the window and the trim around the bottom was completely different starting under the rear quarter window.  But, it still compliments the car nicely.

CARS-11.JPG

Beautiful car.

13 hours ago, RockinRiviDad said:

I totally thought that was my buddy’s red 65 Riv. Same buddy with the champagne mist Riv that Jay Leno featured. He even has the same white walls. Weird. He is selling it. I asked if he wanted me to start a “for sale” thread. That will come soon

This pic doesn’t do it justice. 

Hey Dave - so is the red GS you posted a pic of now for sale?  Is it advertised elsewhere on this site?

Just curious...  My dark green GS might like a stable mate...  Or she might get insanely jealous (the car, not my wife!)

😁

In like butta.  Only interference I ran into was the non original coolant reservoir I installed while the motor was out, good thing is I can move it over and still use it.  Lift, push, drop, use my fancy 2x4 engine-trans alignment tool (with jack under trans to get same aligment).  Once the guide pins slide in, you're in!  

0227191230.jpg

0227191238.jpg

1 hour ago, pyntre said:

It made sounds ,,, that’s always a great start ! 

It scared me, was weird.  Initially had no oil pressure which made no sense.  I messed with the distributor for an hour or so.  Problem was even though it ran, the distributor was not all the way seated to engage the oil pump.  Finally got it to settle in and all is good.  40 lbs. At idle cold.  Not in love with the placement of the heater hoses on the Riv and how they wrap around the distributor!

Edited by Garysriv (see edit history)

The shop manual will show you how to rout the heater hoses.  There should also be clamps that use the valve cover hold down bolt and will hold the hoses in the place where you want them.  Most guys cut the hoses too short and don't allow for room to tuck them down next to the firewall where they connect to the heater core.

• Like 1