Well, the time has finally come....

Garysriv

On 2/26/2019 at 10:34 PM, 65VerdeGS said:

Hey Dave - so is the red GS you posted a pic of now for sale?  Is it advertised elsewhere on this site?

Just curious...  My dark green GS might like a stable mate...  Or she might get insanely jealous (the car, not my wife!)

😁

On 3/1/2019 at 8:42 PM, telriv said:

AHH, the famous Riviera rattle.

Well, I put the rear up on stands today and it seems the noise is coming from the center support area of the driveshaft.  I got a good grip on the rear shaft and shook it back and forth and there's a lot of play.  So, if I unbolt the driveshaft from the pinion flange, and then undo the 2 bolts holding the center support this whole thing will slide out?  Drip pan for the trans I'm guessing....

3 hours ago, Garysriv said:

Well, I put the rear up on stands today and it seems the noise is coming from the center support area of the driveshaft.  I got a good grip on the rear shaft and shook it back and forth and there's a lot of play.  So, if I unbolt the driveshaft from the pinion flange, and then undo the 2 bolts holding the center support this whole thing will slide out?  Drip pan for the trans I'm guessing....

I've been reading on how to replace the center bearing and it sounds like YES to all your questions.  Please let us know how this repair goes.  I'm not looking forward to it.

Chris

3 hours ago, first64riv said:

I've been reading on how to replace the center bearing and it sounds like YES to all your questions.  Please let us know how this repair goes.  I'm not looking forward to it.

Chris

Ordered the support and bearing from CARS today.  Pinion flange bolts are rusted on pretty good, so I hit them with WD40, will try to pull it out tomorrow.  Maybe u joints and trans rear seal at the same time.

Unless WD-40 has changed over the years, it's not a really good rust penetrant.  W - water D - displacement 40  - success on the fortieth try.  It's great for spraying on things that you want to get moisture out of.  

Here's the latest that I've found on penetrating oils.

TOP 5 Best Penetrating Oil

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RivNut said:

Unless WD-40 has changed over the years, it's not a really good rust penetrant.  W - water D - displacement 40  - success on the fortieth try.  It's great for spraying on things that you want to get moisture out of.  

Here's the latest that I've found on penetrating oils.

TOP 5 Best Penetrating Oil

I use the rust penetrator made by WD-40.  I used it recently on our Range Rover to get off an O2 sensor.  Worked like a charm after about 30 minutes, sprayed in 10 minute intervals.

I've always used PB Blaster.  Only in the past couple of days have I even heard of Kroil.  I didn't realize that WD-40 made anything differently than the original.  Gotta get out more.

A couple of years ago, a friend of mine sent this rust removal video to me.  I've never tried it.

www.liveleak.com/view?i=ba2_1475277076

Edit: You'll have to copy and paste the link. Sorry

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Garysriv said:

I'll check it.  Reason?

Because I've heard there are two different dimensions for the first gens.  I've seen the prices range from 60 to 160 dollars.  I just want to make sure I get the right one at the best price.  Thank you.

19 hours ago, first64riv said:

Because I've heard there are two different dimensions for the first gens.  I've seen the prices range from 60 to 160 dollars.  I just want to make sure I get the right one at the best price.  Thank you.

My car is an early '65 and its 1.5".  I got my new bearing and support from CARS, pretty good deal.  Today I got the bearing in the support and changed one u joint.  The u-joint was a pain and it was the easy one.  I ordered buick shop tool J-9522-3 to do the others.  Should be much easier.  When the time comes ill lend it to you.

• Thanks 1

DON'T let them tell you its out of phase.   They are supposed to be 67 1/2* out of phase from the factory.   When you replace u-joints use the solid H/Duty ones. They are MUCH stronger.  That's one of the reasons they were used from the factory.

Tom T.

• Like 1

Balancing will not hurt.. But you need to be aware the drive shaft is out of phase for a reason.. If you look at the splines where the shaft was separated you will see one spline in the yoke is missing & a corresponding spline has a pin in it.  Make sure you make them absolutely point this out when taking it in for a balance job or else you will have a problem with vibration.

I don't know in fact how many shafts I've had to do because some EXPERT drive line shop sold the wrong u-joints, yokes & CV joints that were not needed & VERY seldom did I have   a problem unless some expert messed with it previously.

Tom T.

Just reposting this from another source:

Machinist's Workshop magazine actually tested penetrants for break out
torque on rusted nuts. Significant results! They are below, as
forwarded professional machinist, Bud Baker
*They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrants with
the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a
"scientifically rusted" environment.

*Penetrating oil ..... Average load*

None ..................... 516 pounds
WD-40 .................. 238 pounds
PB Blaster ............. 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench ..... 127 pounds
Kano Kroil ............ 106 pounds
ATF-Acetone mix....53 pounds

*The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic
transmission fluid and acetone.*
*NOTE: the "home brew" was better than any commercial product in this one
particular test. Our local machinist group mixed up a batch and we all
now use it with equally good results. Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is
about as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price. *

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pyntre said:

I love how these threads go off on a tangent that are way off subject

The original poster first commented on having some rusted bolts he couldn't get loose and what he was using to loosen them.  In response to that, these posts are still basically on on track to what the original poster started.

6 hours ago, pyntre said:

I love how these threads go off on a tangent that are way off subject ,,, but I will add to the mayhem ,,  anybody ever use one of these ???? https://boltbusterinc.com/kit/ 

its a lot more expensive than a can of PB  

(DUH) but it does the trick !!!

Induction heating .... what will they think of next 👍👍😁😁😁

Checked it out - looks interesting but not for $650 ! Think I will go with ATF / acetone . Or my cut off wheel 😀.Bolts and nuts   are cheap 

KReed 

ROA 14549