Posi tag location

Hans3

Originally published in The Riview Volume 2 Issue 6 Sept./Oct. 1996

"On the bottom of the axle tube, there is an X inside a Circle denoting a positive traction rear end."

I think I remember some one posting that the Posi rear's filler plug had a square drive that you inserted a 1/2" drive breaker bar into to remove the plug, and the non posi units used a head on the plug that you use a wrench on to remove the plug.  

Did I dream this or did anyone else read it? 

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, first64riv said:

Are the hex heads and square drive bolts interchangeable?  My differential has a square drive bolt but I've been told by the PO it's a posi.  I do have to get under it and look for markings.

Nope.  Just pull out of the car wash with wet tires and "NAIL IT."  Or find a dirt road, it's easier on the tires and the drivetrain.  Markings are hard to find on a 50+ year old car.  You didn't check out the Posi claim when you bought the car?????

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

3 hours ago, phoemsen said:

It just so happens that mine is still up on jack stands. Here is a picture of the filler plug with 3/4" Hex head and tag ""Limited Slip Diff Lube Only " Or something close to that.

IMG_0102.jpg

Tom, 

This doesn't jive with the description you posted earlier.  ???

On 2/18/2019 at 7:39 PM, telriv said:

Posi fill plug has a 3/4" hex you use a wrench on. Non Posi uses a 3/8" drive square extension to remove. 

6 hours ago, RivNut said:

Nope.  Just pull out of the car wash with wet tires and "NAIL IT."  Or find a dirt road, it's easier on the tires and the drivetrain.  Markings are hard to find on a 50+ year old car.  You didn't check out the Posi claim when you bought the car?????

I did not test the posi claim, unfortunately.