Great story about a Young boy and car companies

coachJC

1 hour ago, gwells said:

This is a great story. Emphasizes for me that companies are not unfeeling monoliths, but are actually made up of people with feelings.

This is a fun story, I wish I had thought of it.

But they still want to sell the kid a car someday.

Murray and his Dad, Mike Shears have been close friends for nearly 20 years, we see them at Hershey every year and they visit us here on long island and we also have visited them at their home in England. GREAT people, great friends. The web site that Mike has put together on emblems  is amazing and an outstanding reference.

When I was around 11-13 years old I sent out letters, myself. Dodge send me glossies of all their cars from 1916 to 1962. Cadillac sent me 8X10's of their 1940's professional vehicles. Panhard sent a full package from France.

At school or from local mechanics I had heard Rolls-Royce cars were guaranteed for life. They sent me a nice letter explaining that was not true and a copy of their 12 month warranty.

I have purchased two new Chevy trucks from a dealership in a town 10 miles away. Went I was bicycle riding age the owner of the dealership in my town worked in his parent's gas station that had some neat cars around it. He was always screaming at my friend and I to get out. Kid's memories last a long time. I even remember the nickname we gave to Rick back then.

I gave the Rolls-Royce letter the Doug Seibert for his literature collection a few years ago. Some of the stuff is still around.

Bernie

That is a great story. It reminds me of when I was ten years old, I , with the help of my Mom, wrote to The Pontiac Division a letter,  stating how much  I loved the New 1963 Grand Prix, and did they know if a  toy model of the car was available? About 3 weeks later, I received a package  from  PMD.  Inside the box was a 1963 Pontiac Bonneville promotional hardtop.  Also enclosed was a letter from a Pontiac  Rep, thanking me for taking the time to write , and since they did not have any models of the GP, they hoped i would be happy the Bonneville promo instead. He ended the letter by saying, that by the time I start driving and buying cars, hopefully It will be a Pontiac. John

• Like 1

Cahrtley, no, it was a Ford. I did  own a few Pontiacs, but not enough to make General Motors happy.  I do , however ,have a collection of Pontiac promotional models from 1948 to 1972. The original Bonneville hardtop  promo from 1963 did not survive,  but i replaced it with a twin years later. Thanks. John

• Like 1