Oil pan color

Mpgp1999

On a 1926 Dodge is the oil pan painted? I am removing oil chipping paint and it occurred to me that the oil pan may not have been painted. Is there anything I can do to protect it if it is left bare?

8D4AF242-932B-4EB3-B5E8-7404CB37FC43.jpeg

On my 26. I painted mine high heat black, but it wasn’t painted when I removed it. Could tell it was galvanized. Will regalvanize in the future when I’m more seasoned. Don’t have soldering capabilities at the moment. I can do electrical but not big stuff. 

Edited by DB26 (see edit history)

To stop me would require someone caring and an employee ( manager ) will have to come out to speak with me. I work there there is a lot of red tape when it comes to speaking with customers. For example, if someone is stealing stuff we are not allowed to say or do anything ( except tell a manager) the company fears that an employee could be harmed. I was hidden from View and far from the entrance. 

When cleaning paint off a galvanised finished, NEVER use a wire brush. You will scratch the galvanising and shorten its life. If you can see steel through it or perhaps the odd wee rusty spot, there are galvanising paints. I have a dull one that is 90% zinc and a shiny finish one that is only about 50% zinc. It is not as good as galvanising because it is nowhere near as thick, so you need several coats. From very hazy memory, I think standard hot dip galvanising is 300+ microns thick. How thick is a spray paint? - that will be your zinc paint too.

That zinc plating will be passivating (preventing rust on) all the steel attached to it (e.g. the bolts, the block), so don't skimp if you want to paint it with zinc paint.

On 1/24/2019 at 4:58 PM, JayG said:

The flash makes it look brighter than it is.

IMG_4993.thumb.JPG.61a4371a761288094c369ab3bd2bc8c7.JPGIMG_4994.thumb.JPG.831df165548e59c74c654693b3c0c1d3.JPG

Don't have a dog in this fight, but just observing the convo, and was wondering Is there no chance of galvanic corrosion with the cooper?

2 hours ago, Spinneyhill said:

There is, but if there is a gasket between it is reduced. The zinc will disappear first, then the steel nuts and bolts and the sump. But if it leaks oil, no problem at all!

External lubrication...!!!

Edited by Surf City '38 (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

I am trying to put the oil pan back on. It is quite difficult without  a creeper or a jack. Upside down and on cold gravel is not an ideal condition. I managed to get that “DARN” oil level rod in the hole and I have a vise grip on it to keep it from falling. I got one bold in by the flywheel and one on near the carburetor. The passenger side (exhaust) is a mile away. Any tips and tricks. Also the oil pump is completely out is there any advice on replacing it?

I find it easier to place a magnet next to the hole where the rod exits the block.  It holds the rod in place while you concentrate on fitting the pan.  It is important to make sure the oil pump drive locates properly.  You also have to watch the external oil pipe.  The most common problem is the rear crank oil seal getting dislodged as you fit the pan in place.  

Good luck. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, R.White said:

I find it easier to place a magnet next to the hole where the rod exits the block.  It holds the rod in place while you concentrate on fitting the pan.  It is important to make sure the oil pump drive locates properly.  You also have to watch the external oil pipe.  The most common problem is the rear crank oil seal getting dislodged as you fit the pan in place.  

Good luck. 

+1 on the magnet. Made a 2 man job into a 1 man job. And yes that rear felt loves to come loose. 

On 1/28/2019 at 8:34 AM, R.White said:

You shouldn't need to do anything to protect it.  It's galvanised.

Ray.

Hi Ray, I have a 1927 Dodge Sedan in UK (Cambridgeshire), do you know the best place in the USA where I can purchase parts ??? my email address is trucksandcars@btinternet.com

On 2/19/2019 at 12:27 PM, TPW said:

Hi Ray, I have a 1927 Dodge Sedan in UK (Cambridgeshire), do you know the best place in the USA where I can purchase parts ??? my email address is trucksandcars@btinternet.com

There are a few (eBay being one) but I've found these two to mostly have what I needed and were the most helpful and friendly as well:

ROMAR DB Parts and Services

Myers Early Dodge Parts 1914 -1930

In fact, Tom and Cindy at Myers have helped me with a heck of a lot of advice as well as parts, and I'm working on removing the engine from one of my Touring Cars to send to George at ROMAR so he can restore/rebuild it for me. 

Hope this helps.

- Tom

On 2/19/2019 at 5:27 PM, TPW said:

I have always found Tom and Cindy most helpful.  One downside of owning an American car in England is the cost of shipping and customs charges.  On average, everything works out at twice the price...😲  

Ray. 

• 2 months later...

FYI all the paint strippers they sell at Home Depot (in California) suck. The best stripper I used is the old aircraft paint stripper brand. It stripped my rubber gloves. 

• Haha 1