Then and now: where did these prewar cars go?

twin6

On 1/20/2020 at 9:17 AM, twin6 said:

Where is this car today?  A steamer made up by a Mr. Benoit, with a Stanley engine mounted forward of the firewall.  He called it a Stan-Ben.  Does the car survive, or was it dismantled and used as a donor for other projects?

Stan-Ben.jpg

Wow...I haven't seen that in years. Stanley Benoit lived in southern RI - around Exeter or West Greenwich – in a trailer next to his garage. He built miniature steam locomotives in the garage - one per year - which he sold for $30,000 each. That was a lot of money in the early 70s (It's still a lot of money to me). I visited him there. The Stan-Ben steamer was all apart having been rear ended on Main Street in East Greenwich, RI. I seem to remember he told me it was a 1928 Pontiac chassis. The engine was one of the larger Stanley's (20 HP?). Since I was in my 20s at the time and he must have been in his late 60s or 70s he must be long gone now and I too have wondered what became of the car.

• 11 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/20/2018 at 10:10 AM, Dave Henderson said:

Though I didn't know it at the time when I photoed this quite a few years ago, it's a Spohn-customized Chrysler.  It looked like it was on the way out, chances of it being in existence at this time seem slim.

MVC-007S.JPG

MVC-008S.JPG

This Spohn Custom based on a Chrysler remains unknown to this day and I agree, it was likely not repaired after the fender bender.   There is a '55 Dodge tail in the frontal photo so assuming this is a body shop, the time frame is likely late '50s.   I have the '52 Spohn Palos in restoration.

Assembly time.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

This 1924 Cadillac pulling a one wheel Linn Trailer appeared in my driveway this afternoon.

The one wheel trailer has a swivel wheel that unlocks allowing the towing vehicle to turn around.

The wooden spoke wheel is original to the 1928 trailer.     The 24 Cadillac Touring also sports

wooden spoke wheels.   Another item stored away for 60 or 70 years that has found a useful new

life is use behind this touring car.

IMG_04171.JPG.fc6635633a85dbd57b7688ae26540fae.JPG

IMG_E04171.JPG.1321f84713fb5da7b328de7c9ef69278.JPG

IMG_0418[1].JPG

• Like 6

Please clarify, but it looks to me like the trailer is attached at two points to the bumper on each side of the spare. Trailer stays square to the car thus the reason for the rear turning wheel. Quite ingenious. I think someone may have posted a pic of one of them before on here. Looks great hooked up to the Caddi.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, oldcarfudd said:

What keeps the trailer from banging into the back of the car?

It has two 1.5" hitch balls attached to the bumper, with two couplers on the two tongues that attach to the balls..

• Like 1

On 6/4/2024 at 11:27 PM, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Later versions of those one wheel trailers were around in the 1950s.  I can remember seeing several.

Ben

That's true, my father had one he towed with our new 1954 Ford 2 door station wagon.   He built a plywood floor that pulled

out as an extension.   It had a canvas top like a covered wagon and my brother and I slept in it all around the country.   It

attached to the Ford the same way a as the Cadillac, but instead of balls, it had a bumper bracket.   The single wheel swiveled

at the direction of the towing vehicle.    30 years later a guy in our Florida club had the same thing behind his Model A Ford. 

• Like 1