Wanted ‘38’ Buick

Jim Nelson

This one looks pretty good. Corot Beige. I had one this color, striking, great color if you live down a dirt road: https://asheville.craigslist.org/cto/d/1938-buick-special-nice/6741608147.html

Ebay car looks good, too, repaint in something like original Buick dark blue. Looks like wiring has been patched, may need attention, but relatively rare and beautiful body style.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/5/2018 at 1:31 PM, RICHELIEUMOTORCAR said:

This part of the building was closed off and walled in years ago so getting the car out is not possible anymore. If you walk down those dark hallways behind the Buick, you will come across three more 38 Buicks, a Century convertible coupe, a convertible sedan and a huge Buick 90 Limited. I can't get any of those cars out anymore but I'll climb back there and take some photos for fun. It's pittyful.

771-7150_IMG.thumb.JPG.27977a2f027ce5105bc56b6dce6877eb.JPG

I think I'm going to be sick.

On 12/5/2018 at 4:31 PM, RICHELIEUMOTORCAR said:

Although I am more of an Oldsmobile, Cadillac and Packard guy, the 38 Buick had by far, the most beautiful looking front end of all 38 model cars with the 38 Cadillac 60 Special a close second. Although it's not for sale, here is a photo of my 38 Buick opera coupe. I recall riding in the jump seats in this car as a kid. Have not had this one out in a long time but it's dry and held up very well over time. I try to keep up on the cars in this area, a wipe down now and then, air in the tires, ect and the overhead skylights help keep away dampness and mildew. This part of the building was closed off and walled in years ago so getting the car out is not possible anymore. If you walk down those dark hallways behind the Buick, you will come across three more 38 Buicks, a Century convertible coupe, a convertible sedan and a huge Buick 90 Limited. I can't get any of those cars out anymore but I'll climb back there and take some photos for fun. It's pittyful.

771-7150_IMG.thumb.JPG.27977a2f027ce5105bc56b6dce6877eb.JPG

So your family did actually put some cars away but in such a way they can't reasonably be removed ?  Did anyone ever undergo psychiatric evaluation after these incidents??  So you go from uncovered field storage to walled in cars. 

Why one would ever do it in the name of saving a car baffles my mind.  Anyways a long time ago,  I decided to not buy any car that I couldn't store properly and when i got tired or found another car I wanted more,  I sold that one first.  None were ever poorly stored for more than a brief time while finding a new owner even at a loss.  I've used neighbors garages while mowing their lawns and shoveling just to keep them under cover.  I'm in the process of building the "garage". designed so no car will be barracaded in.  It cost more but will hopefully be well worth it.   I see so many collections stuffed in poor sheds fallen down full of critters with many cars.  Why not sell a few build a good building and store them properly?  

• Like 1

Well hell I should be praised I saved my Cord from some restorer getting it.  Of course you won't be able to praise me too long as Ill probably sell it to a restorer so it gets done instead of lingers,  though I will say,  it's probably not going to hell in it's current dry heated storage. 

I do get it, you are only the mediator not the one who squirreled everything away.  Part of my reference was to the Packard Tow truck in the delapitated shed.  The hoard of cars in France with moss growing on them, etc.  

You are the one we see now with them so you are the only one we can express frustration toward.  Lots were only saved in the sense that they weren't crushed. Many will probably never be restored now due to their degree of decompostion. 

IMG_2184.JPG

I wonder what the plan for the future, 20 years, 50 years, and beyond. The structure does seem to be well-built and might be standing long after the less-valuable cars are deteriorated beyond the interest of potential restorers. Too bad they didn't install a concrete floor.