67 LS1 40K (eBay)

Chimera

He must have gotten tired of hearing that Speed Alert constantly sounding-off!  ;)  I can't help but wonder why someone would take the time (and obviously $$$) to build a car like this, seemingly to suit their own taste, only to sell it...

As a car repair shop owner, I'll make a comment regarding LS engines........they have lots of problems and are unreliable.......I wouldn't want

to go cross country with one under my hood...I'd be wondering if I was going to make it back home.They have too many issues to list here, but the

absolute worst one is the O-ring on the oil pick up tube where it goes into the oil pump. What were they thinking? I've always assumed that the guy

who designed the space shuttle Challenger got fired when it blew up then got hired by GM to design the LS engine. The o-ring on the pick up tube

can shrink and result in zero oil pressure with no warning and you are stranded by the side of the road until it is repaired. I've seen it three times in my

shop in the last 3 months. I was at a Chevrolet dealer picking up a new gas tank involved in a recall and had to drive through their shop to pick it up.

There was a row of six almost brand new trucks in their shop with the engines out of the truck and torn all the way down .........block here, heads over there.

WTF!!!!! 

7 minutes ago, Seafoam65 said:

they have lots of problems and are unreliable.......I

230K on my 2004 Silverado 5.3; never apart and sounds like a Swiss watch.  That said, mine does NOT have cylinder deactivation and all of the crap the new ones are choked with...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Seafoam65 said:

As a car repair shop owner, I'll make a comment regarding LS engines........they have lots of problems and are unreliable.......I wouldn't want

to go cross country with one under my hood...I'd be wondering if I was going to make it back home.They have too many issues to list here, but the

absolute worst one is the O-ring on the oil pick up tube where it goes into the oil pump. What were they thinking? I've always assumed that the guy

who designed the space shuttle Challenger got fired when it blew up then got hired by GM to design the LS engine. The o-ring on the pick up tube

can shrink and result in zero oil pressure with no warning and you are stranded by the side of the road until it is repaired. I've seen it three times in my

shop in the last 3 months. I was at a Chevrolet dealer picking up a new gas tank involved in a recall and had to drive through their shop to pick it up.

There was a row of six almost brand new trucks in their shop with the engines out of the truck and torn all the way down .........block here, heads over there.

WTF!!!!! 

I would not say the LS motors are unreliable, far from it.  Do they have ther issues, sure, all motors do.  I build them also and the blocks are good up to 1400hp and I have personally put 227k on my LS2 TBSS turning 7000rpm everyday until I accidently ran it low on oil and spun a bearing. I have worked on a myraid of junkyard LS's, w/ cam only builds, turbo's, you name it.  I build Nailheads also, and they are fantastic, but even a highend build I would expect about 150k and they will need to be gone back through, mostly for ring/valve guide wear and mostly due to carb vs injection.