Knudsen Sixty-tell me more

Terry Bond

A friend recently acquired this item at a small flea market.  It's a brass desk piece apparently, and is a model of a car called a Knudsen Sixty.  I've done a little digging on the internet and it seems there was only one of these cars built and driven personally by Bill Knudsen.  Here is what I've found -  In its debut year, 3,703 Cadillac Sixty Specials were delivered, at a base cost of $2,090 each - it was a success in every measure. The new Sixty Special outsold every other Cadillac model in its first year accounting for 39% of all Cadillacs sold. In 1938, aside from the standard 4-door sedan, two prototype models were built on the Sixty Special body - two very dashing four-door convertibles (one owned by GM executive, Larry Fisher, which was demolished by Harley Earl in a traffic accident and one sent to Europe, which was later recalled and consumed by GM Engineering in structural tests in preparation for the 1940 "Torpedo" bodies), plus one Sixty-Special coupe (driven personally for two years by GM President, Bill Knudsen).

Was it really called a "Knudsen Sixty" and how rare is this little piece of memorabilia?

Terry

Knudeson Sixty.jpg

I don't see anything in any of the antique car related books I have. It might be some sort of gift that the people that built the car for Bill Knudsen gave him. He might have had it cast himself and could be one of a kind. Wonder what happened to the real car?

• 11 months later...

Hi Terry. The Knudsen Sixty car your friend bought was used at Bill Knudsens 60 year birthday party at Detroit Athletic Club on saturday 25th of march 1939. The car was used as a “tablecar” with names attached so everyone could see where they were to be seated. Henry Ford sat to the right next to Knudsen. 75 guest attended. Regards Thomas

• Like 3

Was wondering - So looks like 75, maybe a few more, were produced.   Interesting and scarce collectable item for sure.  Appreciate the info. 

Terry

• 2 months later...

Very, very interesting. A few years ago I built a Custom 39 Sixty Special from a parts car of a V16 restoration.  It was missing many parts which precluded a restoration so I decided to emulate a period style custom like something Cadillac may have presented at the World’s Fair of that year. Imagine my surprise to see this stunning piece of GM history that your mate found. I would love to get in touch with him if only to get more photos. I’m in Brisbane Australia. 

8F8A0D6C-95E6-475A-A0E8-F2271DF89AD3.png

Edited by Quentin Hall (see edit history)
  • Like 8

I'll try to get more photos for you.  Be patient - it's in an old display case, wa in the back of a garage that's so full of stuff you can't hardly walk through it sideways. Might take a while to get the chance to even try and get to it.

Terry

4 hours ago, Quentin Hall said:

Very, very interesting. A few years ago I built a Custom 39 Sixty Special from a parts car of a V16 restoration.  It was missing many parts which precluded a restoration so I decided to emulate a period style custom like something Cadillac may have presented at the World’s Fair of that year. Imagine my surprise to see this stunning piece of GM history that your mate found. I would love to get in touch with him if only to get more photos. I’m in Brisbane Australia. 

Wow!  That's a magnificent period-style custom!  Please tell us more about it.

9 hours ago, Quentin Hall said:

That thing looks cool, man. Great job. Do you still have it?

• Thanks 1

Thanks Terry and others,   the car means a lot to me. I created it at a very difficult time in my life just prior to my marriage collapse ( too many car projects may just have been a catalyst) and I thought I would lose everything. 
I couldn’t touch any of my cars for 3 years due to the divorce property settlement etc etc. i just about went crazy. (At least crazier). 
 I managed to retain my cars but now I’m broke. Encouragingly things are starting to get back on track now. I’m hoping to get back on the 39 later this year. 

111CAD1D-66C2-4B90-BDF7-6ADD994E6CD7.png

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Quentin Hall said:

and I thought I would lose everything. 

When I went through a similar situation 37 years ago a close friend gave me two pieces of excellent advice that helped me through the conflict:

1.  No one said it would be FAIR

2. The reason it costs so much is because it's worth it.

BTW I love your Caddy and hope you get to finish it soon.

• Thanks 1