Find the Buick

Elpad

9 hours ago, MetroPetro said:

Marty- Watkins Glen

Thank you - skipped Woodstock, but attended US Formula -1 at Watkins Glen 1963-1968

"Accidentally" drove onto the race course in 1964(?) driving my 1948 MG-TC, pulling a home-made trailer loaded with tents and camping equipment for my sports car club. Was advised over the "bitch-box" by a course official to remove non-certified equipment from the course!

Ha ha, haven’t done that but was a passenger in a car on a runway.

Folks in photo heading to “Summer Jam” a rock festival that featured the Allman Brothers Band, Grateful Dead and the Band. The July 28, 1973 event long held the Guinness Book of World Records entry for "largest audience at a pop festival," with an estimated 600,000 fans in attendance at the Watkins Glen Grand Prix Raceway. Approximately 150,000 tickets were purchased in advance, the rest being admitted in what became a "free concert". (Gatecrashers).

On 9/6/2023 at 5:44 AM, Elpad said:

IMG_3422.jpeg

Imagine driving that behemoth around San Francisco with a stick shift.  Then imagine a line of cars, bumper to bumper, headed up that hill toward the stop sign.  I really get a workout driving my '41 around town, and I have to confess that there are certain hills that I simply avoid.  Starting and stopping in the middle of one of those blocks is not for the faint of heart, especially when there's someone behind you, hugging your rear bumper!

• Like 2

I noticed a poster on the wall on the left hand side of the photo, just up the hill from the Buick, that says "Yes on 11."  I did some searching online and see that California had a Proposition 11 in 1950, so this photo must have been taken in the fall of that year.  That looks appropriate to the cars in the photo, as best as I can tell.

• Like 2