AMBU Book on Wiring Diagrams 1917 1918 1919 (now includes later posts by members re R Bosch, American Tech 1922 and Standard Eng 1921)

Gunsmoke

Peter, do you have any wiring diagram showing the magneto firing two or three rows of plugs.......either 4 or 6? Intrested to see an actual diagram showing twin spark with both sets of plugs.......probably a Mercer or Simplex..........thanks, Ed.

• Like 1

Fantastic......is that a generic diagram, or is it listed for specific cars? First time I have ever seen anything like it......and have been looking hard. Three thumbs up....👍👍👍

• Like 1

I found the diagram in a Robert Bosch manual and it seems to be generic. I do have some other magneto manuals and will go through the application charts. Are you looking for White in particular?

The use of a magneto is one thing, the combination of different systems another. What’s the thought behind combining magneto and battery Ignition, the use of single or two spark and in which way are things combined? It can be quite confusing - what‘s the difference between Dual, Duplex, Two Spark and Independent? What‘s the difference between coil A and C? .....as interesting as it is confusing.

Edited by Peter R. (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 12/17/2021 at 5:15 PM, John_S_in_Penna said:

Gunsmoke, please consider donating this to the

AACA Library.  While it could be useful temporarily

on one person's shelf, it will do FAR more good when

it is professionally preserved in an automotive library.

They take good care of their items;  items are protected

by cameras and non-destructive fire protection;  and

over the years, it will benefit many, many collectors.

Gunsmoke--

Fantastic reference and I agree with John that it will benefit many, many collectors.  Here's a proposal:  Donate it to the AACA library and I will pay you the $60 quoted above plus reasonable shipping to the AACA.  Won't help me, all of my cars are 34 Mopars, but consider it a contribution to all of the folks who have helped me over the years.  SMB

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back to this thread after the holiday break, thanks to Scott Bonesteel for the generous offer, and that is a great book hidden-hunter, I'm sure there will be parties interested in its contents, I like the more generous details, and Duesenberg eh! Several weeks ago I accepted an offer from a member for the AMBU book and it was sold & shipped. Hopefully he/she will have it available to any following this thread who needs a diagram. I scanned a couple dozen diagrams for posterity. Happy New Year.

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I’m happy to look up any vehicle and scan it, most of the stuff in my book is 20,21,22 and some early 23

The book is from a set of 5 volumes of working on cars for aspiring mechanics and covers everything from how to weld, wiring, carby etc

• Like 1

Thanks for checking.  Maybe a listing for F.R.P., with your book being from 1917-'19?   

The first Porter-branded car was 1920, as per the thread on it, and must have been after your wiring diagram book was published.

Crai

• 1 month later...

Peter, thank you!  I have owned this car for many years and have never found a wiring diagram for the car.  Technical literature for this car is virtually nonexistent. My car is considered a 1914 model year by American but the car was built in March of 1913.  It has the ELECTRO stater/ generator on it as listed in the table for 1913.  The other existing Type 644 cars have the DISCO electrical system installed.  Do you have page in your book that shows the ELECTRO wiring diagram?

Alan

On 8/4/2018 at 1:04 PM, 1937hd45 said:

I'm always amazed that some people can understand that stuff. Bob 

I agree. I'd love to learn it, but my mind is not wired (pun intended) for anything electrical. 

If I'm ever sleepless and can't shut my eyes, I'll pick up my Standard catalog for Auto Electricians and I'm usually out in 5 minutes due to my eyes glazing over. 

Kudos to all you guys that have a knack for anything electrical. I'm truly jealous. 

Thanks to Gunsmoke and others for taking the time to post these photos for guys who need them. 

May the parts gods shine down on all of you. Great photos and scans btw everyone. Evidently electricians are great photographers too...

This thread should be a sticky in the electrical section in my opinion (if we have such a section, if not, one is needed ;))

Maybe Peter or one of the mods can create a sub-category on electrical in the "Technical" section? 

Incredible and useful thread.

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

• Gunsmoke changed the title to AMBU Book on Wiring Diagrams 1917 1918 1919 (now includes later posts by members re R Bosch, American Tech 1922 and Standard Eng 1921)

Howard,

I‘m not sure what I have already provided but this is what I have regarding Simms-Huff and Maxwell in the Standard manual. Let me know if there‘s anything of interest. There are more manuals, catalogs and books to go through....

Peter

F50E267B-CF2C-40E9-8D2C-84D784DEE5AF.jpeg

598F1422-85AA-4D63-AC37-610959F701E9.jpeg

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

This thread should be a sticky in the electrical section in my opinion (if we have such a section, if not, one is needed ;))

Maybe Peter or one of the mods can create a sub-category on electrical in the "Technical" section? 

Incredible and useful thread.

I think I should start a new thread and post the index pages of the 1921 Standard catalog so people can request info by page numbers (we are talking about 50 System and Car Index pages). 

Besides the 1921 catalog I also have the 1928, the 30‘s (not complete), the 40‘s and 50‘s Standard Auto-Electritian‘s Manuals. Then there are some early National and Reed manuals packed full with wiring diagrams and other helpful info. I also have early Delco master catalogs, early Remy manuals, Auto-Lite, American Bosch, North-East, Owen Dyneto......Parts Books, Test Data, Diagrams, Application Indexes and, and, and.....

.....not only old car electric - fuel pump and carburetor documentation as well. I have detailed AC and Stewart-Warner equipment catalogs. Lots of info for American and European cars and trucks....boats, industrial engines, tractors etc. Too much to list.....

• Like 2

Peter R said "I think I should start a new thread and post the index pages of the 1921 Standard catalog so people can request info by page numbers (we are talking about 50 System and Car Index pages)."

Please do, I'm the original poster for this topic and no longer have the AMBU book. Thanks.