1912 Renault Limo at auction

July 29 in Morris Plains, NJ. Interesting story about the history and restoration. West Peterson should contact them. Click on photo gallery. ( once there you have to "X" out to get back.

https://www.auctionzip.com/Listings/3109025.html?kwd=Model A Ford%2C antique cars&zip=&category=0&utm_source=azemail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=alerts

• Like 1

fi1.cgi

Re: RESTORATION OF A 1912 RENAULT

Louis Renault founded his auto plant in Fre’res Bellancourt, Seine France in 1898 with his two brothers. In 1912 Renault in Fre’res offered no fewer than 15 various models. The bodies of the cars were designed for and by the customer. About 90% of the body parts were made in the United States.

This restored Renault is a 1912 Victoria Limousine with 12/20 horse power. The probable top speed is about 30 miles per hour, say going downhill with the wind at your back. This is the 680th model of this car in 1912. Today, only a few may be found in this kind of condition.

The original owner was a Madame Alda of New York City. She was a Metropolitan Opera singer who was friends of John McCormack, Jim Brady – known as Diamond Jim and Mrs. Ray Dennis of Convent Station, NJ. At one time a Mrs. Lila Armond owned this car. She was a stock broker and sold or gave the Renault to Mrs. Ray Dennis. After about 20 years, Mrs. Dennis gave the car to her chauffeur, Mr. George Worley of Morristown, New Jersey. Mr. Worley later traded in the car to Frank Frost, a Ford Dealer on Bank Street in Morris Town, NJ. From there it was sold in 1948 to a corporation known as Weiss-Havell-Havell-Pennimpede that collected old cars. 
In 1961, I bought this Renault, a 1908 Reo, 1911 Cadillac, 1928 Dort and a 1917 Dodge. All the cars were restored by me and I sold them to collectors except for the Renault.

The Renault was in my possession for 31 years before restoration was begun. Not until January 9, 1992 did we start to restore this fine car. Starting from the frame up, approximately 1200 hours was spent in time on engine work, de-rusting, painting, upholstery, etc.

It has been a pleasure and fun for me to achieve such projects. The Renault is the last car that I will restore for my family and customers. After 42 years in the gas station business, I am in the process of retiring. My Sunoco, later known as “Lou’s Gas and Go Station” will be out of business. In those many years, I have restored about 28 cars. Each car has its memories, headaches, and love. Cars were my life’s work and if this was to be done over again, I would do the same thing.

I would like to give my many thanks to a fine person, my dearest friend and pal, Mr Vincent Pennimpede of Morristown, New Jersey. He, above all, helped me in so many ways to understand old cars.

LB
January 11, 1995

• Like 1

I sold this exquisite 1912 Renault a number of years ago for A LOT of money, although it was far more ornately detailed and beautifully finished that that blue one. I thought that blue one was a project car from the photos.

001.jpg

060.jpg

073.jpg

• Like 2

Well Matt,

your car was the large series and a beauty at that. One of those was offered at around 50k a few years back, was immediately bought and another 100k added on the price.

Big Franklins go for much more then small Franklins also......... Americans always want big hp.

• 5 months later...

Dear Mike and all,

Two small remaks, regarding the short Renault history text above.

"Fre'res" is not a location, but French for "Brothers". So "Renault Frères" stands for "Renault Bros" 

And the place is not Bellancourt, but Billancourt. Formerly a village next to Paris, nowadays merged with city of Boulogne into Boulogne-Billancourt.

Now, do I have a chance to get more information about this 1912 limo ? I would be thankful... and delighted :)

Yes, after I saw it was a reserve auction, that's what I figured would happen: no sale. They were auctioning furniture and nick-nacks and this vehicle. Thanks for the update. Maybe "Fossoyeur" above would be interested in the owners contact information; I don't know.

20 minutes ago, RICHELIEUMOTORCAR said:

Yes Mike, however, although they first said the car was going to have a reserve, I called before I went to the auction and was told they may forget the reserve and just start with a set bid in the 50 range. I would not have bothered to go if I knew flat out the starting bid was going to be 100k so they kind of tricked possible bidders into going. I guess this may be the reason nobody bid expect for me. I did not know about the 100k number until after I bid. The wood needed some work as well. When I think back, I am glad I did not buy the car although I did get a great deal on a mid 1800s Victorian Parlor set and a few old oil paintings. It was an interesting day. The guy was a true collector of neat items. There was also a nice Model A roadster next to this car but it was not for sale. 

Just curious - was the black(?) auction car a smaller engined model that the red one you sold? I know Renault did quite a range of models in that era.   http://voitures.renault.free.fr/

I assume  nzcarnerd is talking about the car mentioned by Matt Harwood, a few posts above. The price difference is also related to the condition of the cars. The red one is not that big.

Thanks to all, especially to RichelieuMotorCar, for sharing information and thoughts. Currently, I have more recent Renault cars (1929 and 1935) in my garage. I would love being the owner of a pre-1914 one, but I believe time has not come yet :mellow:

Currently, I'm focusing on pictures and improving my knowledge.

Just a few questions more : do we know what Renault type it is, and who was the coachbuilder for it ?

Edited by Fossoyeur (see edit history)

• 6 months later...