Registered Reattas

Barney Eaton

Over the last 10 years I have been able to get information via R.L.Polk company on the number of Reattas registered in the US.

I have some new numbers but my contact is no longer with Polk but a co-worker sent me an update, but not with the detail I received before.

The latest numbers is 6556 total Reattas registered in the 50 states. 

Since there were 21,751 total Reattas built in the 4 model years of production, this latest number represents 30% of the cars built are still registered.

This newest info does not break out the cars by year or model,  just by state.

The states with the highest registration are in the following order..... Michigan = 597, Ohio = 562, Pennsylvania =365, Florida = 345, California =337,  Illinois = 310

Alaska only has 8 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the information Barney. I was surprised to learn that such a small number of Reattas were registered. I assume that is the number that are still on the road? It's no wonder that I have only saw two Reattas at cruise-ins here in TN over all the years I have owned my car.

Below is the complete list of Reattas registered in the US  as of May 2018.......this will not include whole cars that are not registered, cars in museums, collection and not registered and cars running with dealer plates.

I also included a graph showing the decline in registration over about a 10 year period

reg cars.jpg

2018 reg 1.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

Below is the complete list of Reattas registered in the US  as of May 2018.......this will not include whole cars that are not registered, cars in museums, collection and not registered and cars running with dealer plates.

I also included a graph showing the decline in registration over about a 10 year period

reg cars.jpg

2018 reg 1.jpg

Something isn't making sense Barney.

Observation: We (the forum) had this conversation 7 1/2 years ago.  Back then, the data you supplied said there were 1,435 registered Reattas in California (approx 14,500 registered in the US in 2011). California had the most Reattas registered in the nation. Fast forward 7-8 years later and now its 337 and California is 5th on the list among the states (the ranking isn't my concern).  If the Reatta count for California has dropped about 75% over the past 7-8 years, either the number given circa 2011 was incorrect or today's numbers are incorrect.

Taking it a step further, I would say today's count (for California) is more accurate then the number given seven years ago.  Then again, I think the source of today's data vs 7-8 years ago is the same (correct me if I'm wrong). But with a near 50% drop (based on the enclosed graph) from 8 years ago, Reatta values have changed very little.

I looked at the 2008 numbers for California and they were 1165 (that's 10 years ago) and today there are 337,  that is a 60% drop in 10 years....

The overall average for the 50 states dropped 44% during the same 10 years.

I think the California drop has something to do with the number of Reattas that were sold and left California....people wanting rust free cars.

All the data came from the same source....R.L.Polk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

I looked at the 2008 numbers for California and they were 1165 (that's 10 years ago) and today there are 337,  that is a 60% drop in 10 years....

The overall average for the 50 states dropped 44% during the same 10 years.

I think the California drop has something to do with the number of Reattas that were sold and left California....people wanting rust free cars.

All the data came from the same source....R.L.Polk

Don't disagree about Reattas leaving California.  I've been looking for a rust-free 1988-1989 coupe (not red/tan) the past 18 months and the inventory is practically nil.

3 hours ago, Buick City said:

I know there are more reattas than are registered,as I have 10  ( 8 good ones,2 for parts , 1 registered, that I drive every day ! ( just turned 321,000 miles )

If you haven't done so already, it would be great if you would give Barney Eaton a list of the VINs for the cars not running so he could add them to his Reatta database.

3 hours ago, redreattaruss said:

In my case 3 of my 4 Reattas are not currently registered.  They're all ready to drive, but with 28 cars, I can't drive them all. 

That would make the California Reattas listed 3 time greater than the numbers show, at least in my case.  ?

Yes but the number of registered Reattas, which this topic is about, would remain the same.  ?

For some strange reason, states do not tabulate unregistered cars.......which makes sense, how would they know?

In post #7 it says.......this will not include whole cars that are not registered, cars in museums, collection and not registered and cars running with dealer plates

Roger in AZ has around 70 Reattas that are not registered,  I know a fellow in Denver that has 5 in his back yard,  the list goes on.

Whenever someone send  information about a Reatta in a scrap yard or pick n pull,  I put that in the database for several reasons.

(1) It identifies that car by colors, adding to the information we have.  (2) I indicate it is considered "scrap"  not seeing the car, I do not know if it has been is a bad accident or just at "end of life"

(3) someday that information might be valuable to someone buying a car that has been "rebuilt"......I'm not saying that is a problem, just that we have documented that car was considered scrap at one time.