Question about newer car tires....

keiser31

My honey's car is newer (than your usual antique) and needs new shoes. Can anyone here recommend a good tire for her car? I realize it is not an antique, but she needs help finding the right tire. The car is a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The size is 205/65 R15.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

John

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

While I have no personal experience with their Radials, I have had really good results with Simpletire.com recently. Here is a search with several options from them:

https://simpletire.com/catalog?year=2005&make=Chevrolet+&model=Malibu&option=Base&select=1&zip=28401

You may want to try your own zip code in case there are price differences for different shipping locations. 

You can start by going to a site like The Tire Rack and reviewing all the different brands they carry, reviews of the tires and the price range.

I buy "H" rated tires not for the speed rating but because I live in Texas and it gets hot....speed and heat go together and a tire rated for a higher speed should hold up better in the heat.

That man not be an issue in Oregon.

Next you can go to a site like www.powerdog.com and play with the tire sizes.   You may find that some Malibus came with larger tires

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revolutions Speedometer Odometer Difference
205/65-15 5.2" 12.7" 25.5" 80.1" 791/mi 60MPH 10000mi N/A
215/65-15 5.5" 13.0" 26.0" 81.7" 776/mi 59MPH 9803mi 2.0%
215/60-15 5.1" 12.6" 25.2" 79.0" 802/mi 61MPH 10133mi

-1.3%

The list above is from Powerdog........you enter the standard or starting size then play with larger tires....in this case staying with 15",  you can also play with 16" and larger if you were going to change rims.

Note that the two 215 cross section tires only change the speedometer 1 mph at 60....going larger in cross section put a little more rubber on the road and many make it ride a little softer.

• Thanks 1

It depends on your priorities.  Many people shop price above all.  Others want to maximize lifetime (mileage).   I tend to place more importance on performance and quality.  I have always had good luck with Michelin and Continental brands.  I agree that Tire Rack is a good platform on which to compare the various offerings.  They even have a tire selection guide that will guide you through the process.

2005, is this the first set of tires you are buying? How many miles do you expect to put on it in 5 to 7 years? If under 50,000, then buy the cheapest tire since it will dry rot/age out before it wears out. I have been running the cheapest available from local tire stores for 30 years. Never an issue. Name brands, yes, issues! Michelins that shed treads like trucks shed recaps. BF Goodrich that thumped and vibrated, balancing didn’t work....?

Now if the wife autocrosses..., buy for performance!.?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

Now if the wife autocrosses... ask at the track!!!!

I get that you were probably kidding, but in all seriousness, those people know what is best for steering and stopping. Choosing a high treadwear rating is likely to get you something that is too hard to stick well on that one day you really need it.

John,

205/65r15 is kind of an oddball size with a limited selection. Cooper makes a decent tire in that size. 195/65r15 is slightly narrower and much more popular. I would go to tirerack.com and see what fits her car and then look at the top rated tires in that size. General tire is a subsidiary of Continental and both are usually highly rated. Lower priced Michelins tend to get sidewall cracking long before they wear out, upper level Michelins are much better. Try to avoid Hancook, high treadwear ratings come with harsher ride and more road noise. As you already know, tires and brakes are the place to spend your hard earned money and get some piece of mind.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

2005, is this the first set of tires you are buying? How many miles do you expect to put on it in 5 to 7 years? If under 50,000, then buy the cheapest tire since it will dry rot/age out before it wears out. I have been running the cheapest available from local tire stores for 30 years. Never an issue. Name brands, yes, issues! Michelins that shed treads like trucks shed recaps. BF Goodrich that thumped and vibrated, balancing didn’t work....?

My honey got the car from her mother, next door and had good tires on it. Her mother is about to turn 92 and gave her the car. I think she has it figured out which tires she will go with. Thanks for all of the help.

Picture 10359.jpg

Picture 10358.jpg

Picture 10360.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...