Name written on the transmission!

Hadders

Guest alleyyooper

Working at Fisher body Pontiac in the late 1960s I was on a job with 3 other guys. I always left my itinals with a paint stick on the car I worked on so I could prove a screw up was not my car.

:D          Al

34 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

That appears to be from a standard autowrecker's ball-type marking paint bottle.  Automakers commonly used a grease marking crayon.

Craig

Hi yes often done over here in the UK on 2nd hand parts, didn't know if anyone knew of the people or place or if it was a mechanic's signiture!

Probably a breaker's signature or less likely, a rebuilder. They marked parts so they would know if someone returned a part under warranty, that it was one they sold. Austin would have been put on to identify the part when it was on the shelf.

Is there an Ernest Loera who runs a garage or breaker's yard in your area?

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

13 minutes ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Probably a breaker's signature or less likely, a rebuilder. They marked parts so they would know if someone returned a part under warranty, that it was one they sold. Austin would have been put on to identify the part when it was on the shelf.

Is there an Ernest Loera who runs a garage or breaker's yard in your area?

Hi nope hence my post as I'm in the UK and imported this 62 TBird last year - which had been sat in a barn in OK since 82!

• Thanks 1

Salvage yards in my area used to mark down a buyer's name on parts like transmissions, when the buyer had called ahead and agreed to buy the unit, and the employees had pulled it out and brought it up to the front desk. That way, when the buyer walked in the door asking for his part, the counter men could easily find it on the "will-call" shelf. I bet that's what this is. 

Your transmission reminds me of the Borg Warner auto trans that was in the 1963 Studebaker Lark I had about 10,000 years ago. I wasn't allowed to own a car, but when her transmission went out, a kind old lady in the neighborhood gave me her Lark. I went to a local salvage yard, and bought a used transmission. It wasn't much better than the one I took out, but it got me around town, somehow. Glad my dad didn't catch me out on the road with it! LOL

• Like 2

5 hours ago, alleyyooper said:

Working at Fisher body Pontiac in the late 1960s I was on a job with 3 other guys. I always left my itinals with a paint stick on the car I worked on so I could prove a screw up was not my car.

All that proved is that you neglected to leave your name on the ones you screwed up. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Guest alleyyooper

Back in the day you could walk the line and find my itinals on every 3d car that had power windows and the vacum locks. Yes the 69 Pontiac GP had vacum locks a wad of hoses that ran across the inside fire wall to a spider then from there into the doors. two hoses to the switch and 2 hoses to the actuator.

Edited by alleyyooper (see edit history)

25 minutes ago, Rusty_OToole said:

You should definitely call the guy in Austin and ask if he used to own your Tbird.

Not brave enough, some mad English man making clams about an old car - could think I'm some insurance claim scam! :unsure:

1 hour ago, lump said:

Hadders, is this tranny out of a T-bird? If not, what car is it from, please? I might call that guy on your behalf...just because I'm curious! 

Hi yes a 62 hardtop Thunderbird 

Was a light silvery blue colour but someone painted it white. The license on the screen shows Oklahoma. I’ve loads of tax commission receipts and registration certificates going back to 79 same owner - name on the certificate: Hill Wendell L &/or Fern L.  Headrick OK 

Looked like they moved in 2011 to Polk Street in Altus OK. So either this was the previous owner or something they had fitted during their ownership?? 

2 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

An address and telephone number have been in phone

books for many decades, so I see no inappropriateness there.

It's all the OTHER information which the internet collects 

about people that has been considered invasive.

This is what bothers me about what I'm starting to see in recent years  on calendars featuring vintage cars and trucks.  For whatever reason, the licence plates are blanked out with an ugly white or black rectangle which totally take away from the photo.  The sole reason of a licence plate is to be conspicuously displayed on the vehicle, as we all know what happens when it is missing or obscured.  Unfortunately, some of these are YOM plates that are intentionally blanked out, which only add to that beautiful, professionally photographed vehicle is disappointingly blanked out for no real reason.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)

Yep, that's Ernie. He responded to my FB message. He said thanks for sending the picture. He said I only owned about a million of them in all my years working on transmissions.. He sent me a "voice message." If I can figure out how to copy and paste it here I will.

• Thanks 1

On 4/17/2018 at 11:37 PM, mike6024 said:

18446510_312927519144029_45712661006962613731736_102329516875552_643322684151259  Ernest Loera

Possibly this man. He appears to be a car enthusiast based on the pictures he has posted. I messaged him a copy of the transmission picture.

Wow that’s amazing. Be interested in what you’ve heard!  Thanks 

8 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

All this hoo hah the board came up with excellent information including the identity of the name on the transmission and the OP doesn't want to know.

Nice, have responded but I'm on the other side of the world so my responses are delayed due to the time difference!!!

6 hours ago, mike6024 said:

Ernest Loera.html           

Can anyone hear the audio by clicking on that posted link ?????????????  I have never attempted this before.

Hi, many thanks for this, the link just give me some text unrelated - not sure why but not audio???

8 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

All this hoo hah the board came up with excellent information including the identity of the name on the transmission and the OP doesn't want to know.

Nice, have reacted but as I'm not in the US there's a time difference to when I'm awake with internet access!

Unrelated text? There should be an audio where you have to hit the "play arrow" by clicking it with you mouse. I'll try it from another computer. It works from my home computer. Maybe someone else can try it. Hopefully someone with a FB account.

I think one may need to have an active Facebook account they are logged on to for the link to work. The audio didn't say much anyway, it was only 20 seconds long. Thank you for sending that picture, it's been a long, long time. i think he was a mechanic, specializing in transmissions, and wrote his name on the ones he worked on.

Edited by mike6024 (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...