Correct G70 Carb ?

Can one of you folks advise what the correct carb is suppose to be on a  218CID  G70 Chrysler? Built in Oct 1925    It has a Dodge Bros Detroit Lubricator  on it now.

It runs ok but its obviously not correct.  Stromberg OS 2 ??   Thanks, Cricket     Eng S/N G101113    Head  53948 2    Block  53951-4  10/2/25

The Fedco # is WL488H.    Is one of the three a  better functioning carb assuming they are thouroughly  rebuilt correctly and adjusted correctly ?  Cricket

The three original carbs:

Penberthy (Ball & Ball) SV-26 (zero parts availability)

Zenith type 105B (zinc alloy, cracked to pieces)

Stromberg OX-2 (brass carb, excellent for its day, good parts availability, but parts and/or carb are not cheap).

The OX-2 (type O, cross-flange, size 2) is in great demand to replace the later TX-2 (zinc alloy) and UX-2 (zinc alloy) carbs that crack to pieces.

The BB-1 is an oft-used replacement carb, but is a straight-flange, so a cross-flange adapter would be necessary, and no offense to Sasha, the BB1A or BB1D would be the correct BB-1 for this application. And as shown in the chart, would require a Carter 72-20 (or equivalent) adapter.

Jon.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, carbking said:

The BB-1 is an oft-used replacement carb, but is a straight-flange, so a cross-flange adapter would be necessary, and no offense to Sasha, the BB1A or BB1D would be the correct BB-1 for this application. And as shown in the chart, would require a Carter 72-20 (or equivalent) adapter.

Jon.

At a list price of $1.00 it won't break the bank....:rolleyes:

9 hours ago, maok said:

At a list price of $1.00 it won't break the bank....:rolleyes:

Since we are doing "period" pricing, need to consider "period" finances.:rolleyes:

Will be happy to sell my new old stock (uncirculated ;))  72-20 adapter for $1.00 if it is an uncirculated 1928 U.S. silver dollar! ;):P:)

Jon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, carbking said:

Since we are doing "period" pricing, need to consider "period" finances.:rolleyes:

Will be happy to sell my new old stock (uncirculated ;))  72-20 adapter for $1.00 if it is an uncirculated 1928 U.S. silver dollar! ;):P:)

Jon.

:D:lol::)

Hi Cricket, my right hand drive model G70 has engine number 101050 and has a block casting date of 7/22/25, the head has casting date 8/25/25.  The cars body had long gone by the time I got the rolling chassis, so I don't have a Fedco number. From the number of spring blade leaves I have figured the car was a tourer, and was specially equipped with type 4 Buffalo wire wheels.The car I have, was last run in 1958 and it came to me, with a brass bodied  Zenith Detroit SV5B carburettor still bolted to the manifold. I assumed this to be the original carb for my motor, but I stand to be corrected. I will try in the next few days to take a few pictures of the carb and upload them.

My carb is nothing like the Zenith carb shown in a picture by Sasha39. Sasha's picture quite clearly shows an adaptor between the carb and manifold.

Viv.

ps, its interesting that your motor number and mine are only 63 apart and yet my block was cast more than 2 months earlier.

I have downloaded a lot of pictures off the internet and ebay for reference, several of the cars show the carb as attached to the manifold in this picture, the Chrysler 70 owners manual shows a carb as per picture carb 2. The owners handbook also says carb supplied by Penberthy injector company. Hope these pictures help.

Viv.

chrysler 70 carb.JPG

chrysler carb 3.jpg

chrysler carb 2.jpg

I've got a BB-1 carb that is not a Carter. It is a Ball & Ball "Manufactured for Chrysler Corporation" and looks almost identical to a BB-1D. Is this the correct carb for a Series 75, and somehow Carter later bought the company and shortened the name to BB?

Carter produced the BB-1 carbs.

The very earliest BB-1 carbs were manufactured by Carter for Chrysler Corporation (1932).

The Penberthy Injector Company produced carburetors for a number of manufacturers from 1916 through 1929. They look nothing like the Carter BB-1. The only resemblance is that both are updraft.

The BB-1D is just one model of the type BB-1, and was released after WWII. It replaced the BB-1A.

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)

On 4/12/2018 at 9:46 AM, Narve N said:

I've got a BB-1 carb that is not a Carter. It is a Ball & Ball "Manufactured for Chrysler Corporation" and looks almost identical to a BB-1D. Is this the correct carb for a Series 75, and somehow Carter later bought the company and shortened the name to BB?

This is the Ball & Ball which looks very much like a Carter BB-1. Apologies for the dizzy photo, car is currently at the upholstery shop.

CR 1710 20 Topp av for høvling (2).jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like CarbKing is definately the King of Old Carbs. You Aussies, New Zealanders are always extremely helpful on these old first Chryslers. THanks to all who provided photos and data copies. Great Info! I have a direction to go in now.  Cricket    Any of  you folks from down under know what color the head and  block were orignally on these

G70 chryslers ?  I have looked at every engine photo I can find on the old interweb and no two are the same. The 1925/26  heads were not red heads and my head doesnt say Siverdome on it.   Would Silver head and black block  or grey block be correct ?  Currently the block and head are red with black cover plates. Thanks, CrickIMG_0080.thumb.jpg.9a2891f80872793e2742e148e1bfaea8.jpget.