1940 Special

Gene Brink

What's wrong with it Ben? I'm not seeing anything jumping out that is misrepresented. I don't often like the big wheels, either, but that's a handsome car. However, I have to imagine that those big hoops are hurting its already modest performance. ON the other hand, swap out the springs and rolling stock and you have a very nicely restored '40 coupe to enjoy. Either way, it's a nice car. The wheels don't make it worth 40% more than stock but it's still a nice car.

What am I missing?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Morgan Wright said:

When I see wheels like that I assume they were changed for a reason.......to fit a small block chevy v-8, automatic transmission, Hotchkiss drive, etc.

I don't see anything but the video. Where is the info?

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/d/1940-buick-series-40-special/6464849908.html

2 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

What's wrong with it Ben? I'm not seeing anything jumping out that is misrepresented. I don't often like the big wheels, either, but that's a handsome car. However, I have to imagine that those big hoops are hurting its already modest performance. ON the other hand, swap out the springs and rolling stock and you have a very nicely restored '40 coupe to enjoy. Either way, it's a nice car. The wheels don't make it worth 40% more than stock but it's still a nice car.

What am I missing?

He states it has the original engine. I see a 1950 or later engine. My cynical self says "what else" is misrepresented. 

Having said that, I would appreciate if someone want to present me with an early fathers day gift!

Ben

24 minutes ago, RiKi5156B said:

It’s not represented as a restored to original day one car. Restored can mean different things to different people. It’s well represented as is.

25 minutes ago, RiKi5156B said:

It’s not represented as a restored to original day one car. Restored can mean different things to different people. It’s well represented as is.

Riki, I was not even thinking of "restored" . The fact is he states "original" engine. It is not, hence my not as represented. Just a pet peeve, I guess. If it isn't so don't say it is!

Ben

You folks are getting too far off track by assuming a car redone such as this is represented as a top level restored to original  car. To a lot of non Buick car enthusiasts any straight 8 would be original. This car was probably done that way. 12v,big wheels,lowered? All good. The fact is,it’s a lightly modified car that is beautifully done. Remember the asking price is asking. My estimation would be around 25k. That’s what I paid for my 53 on my header. Again, remember that the people you deal with that have an old car for sale might have a looser interpretation of restored than a by the book redo. If  you’re interested in this car then take it as it is. And have fun.

Guys, you might say the CAR is original, and I would agree.  But if describing, would you say it has the original engine in it?  He did.  Say it still has a straight eight in it, OK.  Saying it has the original straight straight eight, is not. Perhaps I am just picking at straws.

Ben

Edited by Ben Bruce aka First Born (see edit history)
  • Like 1