JUDGING QUESTION

bobg1951chevy

53 minutes ago, bobg1951chevy said:

Once again, the original question was only asking if a deduction would occur for radial tires, when being judged. 

Bob, the answer is yes, since the car could not have been correctly supplied by the factory to the dealer, or sold by the dealer to the consumer as a correct factory authorized dealer option with them when new 

• Like 2

And once again the focus is in the bits and bytes and not on the big picture: If the issue with radials is the construction, why not deduct the same for bias tires that are not the same as OEM ? (and a "2 ply / 4 ply rated rayon" tire is not the same as a "4 ply polyester" and far removed from "bias-belted"). If going to pick nits on a maintenance and safety item then let's pick nits.

padgett,

The original question has been answered many times in this discussion. You really don't have to continue to argue. AACA Judges follow the judging guidelines. We judge by those rules. If you don't like the rules, if you are an AACA member, you can lobby to have the rules changed. You have previously indicated not having an interest in judging. Why do you feel the need to continue to argue about something that you have claimed does not interest you? The rules require a deduction for inauthentic radial tires. Until those rules change, inauthentic radial tires will receive a deduction in AACA Judging. The fact that  you don't like reproduction bias style tires does not change the rules. Please stop arguing. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

Bob, the answer is yes, since the car could not have been correctly supplied by the factory to the dealer, or sold by the dealer to the consumer as a correct factory authorized dealer option with them when new 

Marty, I understand the question was answered,  but my comment was written because the conversation had become argumentative, which serves no purpose.

• Like 1

Roger, Ah, but we DO have hose clamps on our air cooling/heater hoses! And yes, the OEM are not worm gear style....  Most are now!

And there have been many a Corvair owner who used aluminum 4" dryer duct for the flexible fabric hose to the heater.... ARGH!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

Roger, Ah, but we DO have hose clamps on our air cooling/heater hoses! And yes, the OEM are not worm gear style....  Most are now!

And there have been many a Corvair owner who used aluminum 4" dryer duct for the flexible fabric hose to the heater.... ARGH!  

Count me among the sinners who installed worm gear clamps and aluminum heater duct.   Warm and toasty heat on a budget.

1 hour ago, padgett said:

There was a gasoline heater option. It was on the passenger side of the trunk. 

Correct !

We had that on my Dad's 1960 Corvair 4-door sedan - lost to a snowplow blade on the Long Island Expressway on the way back to New Jersey, the night of my Cousin's wedding in 1966

In 1960, the only optional heater was the gasoline heater. Optional hot air heater was first on the 1961 model Corvair.

I have seen enough smoldering fabric heater hoses on the driver's side of a Corvair from the wire reinforcement coming in contact with the battery stud of the starter solenoid that running an uninsulated duct seems to be asking for the big short-fire! Earlies had a foam rubber sleeve to keep the fabric hose off the solenoid. Lates had a metal bracket to run the hose through I have seen many with either safety feature missing, or just not used by hose installer later in their life.

Of course I use worm gear clamps!:D

1 hour ago, Frank DuVal said:

In 1960, the only optional heater was the gasoline heater. Optional hot air heater was first on the 1961 model Corvair.

I have seen enough smoldering fabric heater hoses on the driver's side of a Corvair from the wire reinforcement coming in contact with the battery stud of the starter solenoid that running an uninsulated duct seems to be asking for the big short-fire! Earlies had a foam rubber sleeve to keep the fabric hose off the solenoid. Lates had a metal bracket to run the hose through I have seen many with either safety feature missing, or just not used by hose installer later in their life.

Of course I use worm gear clamps!:D

To avoid the danger of a short circuit, I  cut a section of inner-tube and wrapped the aluminum duct where it is in close proximity to the solenoid terminal.  

• 1 month later...
On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 8:41 AM, MCHinson said:

I have not seen it in writing yet, but I heard from someone that I trust that the deduction for tires will be decreased in the new judging guidelines for 2018. I guess it is just a rumor now, but I trust the guy I heard it from. If this is correct, it would make it much easier to receive an award with inauthentic radial tires. 

When will the judging manual be available for 2018 ?    

Call headquarters for a copy ?

They are available now. I picked one up at the Annual Meeting in Philadelphia. The major change for this year is that tires are now indeed a two point maximum deduction instead of a five point maximum deduction.  You can order one from headquarters for a small fee, or you can download it in a pdf format for free: http://www.aaca.org/images/judge/2018_Judging_Guidelines.pdf

You can also receive if for free when attending any National Judging School.

• Like 1