Correct Grease Gun for '26 DB Fittings

DB26

My "modern" gun (1980) came with a fitting in two pieces. The inner piece is a pointed nozzle, the outer is the bit that grips the end of the grease nipple. Even on modern nipples (e.g. the tractor) I remove the outer piece and just push the tip of the nozzle into the hole. Clean the end of the nipple first though, so no dirt is pushed in when the wee ball is pushed in. I always find that the grip is not good enough to make the grease go in the hole and either way, you must be parallel with the nipple axis to get grease into it.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2017 at 3:50 PM, JFranklin said:

Model A Ford suppliers sell an adapter to use with a modern gun to grease those fittings. That is the style used on early 
Fords.

I tried finding this item. Do you have a link? 

And thanks to everyone else for your replies. I will do some experimenting. 

• 2 years later...
On 11/4/2017 at 9:52 AM, platt-deutsch said:

I just use the needle point adapter.. Works for me

what is a Needle Point Adapter? my grease fitting for my 1933 Dodge Throw out bearing needs grease and I can t find the gun to work with cone fitting. who knows what goes with this? 

20190805_210211.jpg

20190805_210214.jpg

I used to contend with those old style nipples. Not anymore. I buy the new type from Snyder's antique Ford parts in Ohio. They're not clogged with old rock hard grease, no broken or missing springs or balls inside, and the shape is the type that my modern grease gun snaps onto, I can buy the sleeves of chassis lube to fill the gun, and pump away. Buying the fittings are possibly cheaper than finding the type of gun for the cone type fittings. Unless you plan on a national fine point judging meet, nobody cares about the newer nipples.

I ended up changing mine over to modern zerk fittings. For ease of lubing, and those old ones would not take a greasing anymore. Could have cleaned the old ones out, but for the effort involved. Might as well change them. I did keep a few installed in easily accessible locations to show people what the fittings and gun used to look like. 

Edited by DB26 (see edit history)