WTB - Seeking 56 Buick car

56 Buick

Hi all, I am new to the Forum. I am seeking to buy my long time love being a 56 Buick. I have been looking for sometime and I recently came across this Site and Forum. I am glad I did noting the abundance of knowledge here. Anyway, I thought it would be a good idea to use this post to further my endeavour. I am preferably looking for a 2 door Hardtop which is in good running condition hopefully somewhere in the price range of $10k - $15k. If anyone knows of anything then please let me know. Thanks

• Like 1

Mr. Buick, I would say impartially that, while this forum

and the club magazine, The Buick Bugle, are fine, overall

they will offer far fewer 1956 Buicks than other sites:

Hemmings Motor News and the various car-for-sale sites

on the internet, including Ebay.

To find just what you want at a fair price, be patient, and

keep up a diligent search.  It may pay off in a week or in a year.

Searching is half the fun!

• Like 1

Hi Suchan and John, many thanks for the info.

Is there any guidance on price as it seems to me some cars I have seen for sale appear overpriced but of course I could be wrong. There was a white/black 56 Special (it was listed as a Century) at Streetwide Classics for $22,995. That car had a custom cloth interior but it did not appear to require any work to be done on the car. It recently sold but there are photos still up on the site. Is that a reasonable price for that condition car? I in no way want to rubbish that seller as they have a lot of great cars and clearly someone bought the car at that price point but it would be helpful to hear any views.

Thanks again

Drew

You can also check the major auctions such as Mecum, Barrett-Jackson, and Auctions America. I've registered as a bidder and attended both Mecum and Auctions America auctions.  The downside to buying at an auction is you cannot test drive the car. However, you can sit inside, check the underneath, and watch the car being started and driven to the staging area at the auction.  Yes, there are some bad cars, but some good ones also.

6 hours ago, 56 Buick said:

Is there any guidance on price, as it seems to me some cars I have seen for sale appear overpriced but of course I could be wrong.

Drew, you are exactly right, and perceptive:

Many cars for sale are overpriced, some vastly overpriced.

It's not uncommon for collector-car dealers to ASK double

a car's value--and double what they likely just paid for the car.

I much prefer knowledgeable, honest private sellers for that reason,

though their expectations can be optimistic too.

If a hobbyist has a car you like but it's priced too high,

be courteous and patient, save the ad, and several months later his

price will be more flexible.  Dealers, on the other hand, try to hang on

to their high advertised prices forever, hoping that someone will come along.

I have called about a car, advertised by a hobbyist in Hemmings Motor News

a year prior, and it was still for sale!

A widely used price guide is Old Cars Report Price Guide,

which is available on newsstands every 2 months.  They produce

an excellent and comprehensive annual book, the "2018

Collector Car Price Guide," which I think is a must-have reference:

https://www.krausebooks.com/2018-collector-car-price-guide

On the internet, antique-car insurer Hagerty lists values

at www.hagerty.com.  There is also www.nada.com, whose

listed values are higher than others', but their book says their

values are for all-original cars. 

Have fun searching, and within reason, be selective.  You'll probably

have the car for many years, so get a car you will want to live with

for that time span.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sherbert

I have a 56 Special 2 door hardtop for sale that is actually the cover of the Buick Bugle 50th anniversary you can look it up on that forum and see it, runs great but my husband passed away and I am regretfully selling

Hi, firstly I am sorry for your loss. I don't have a copy of the Bugle handy with me right now but I am interested in the car and perhaps it's best I send you a message with my contact details and email address and we go from there. Thanks, Drew.

Sorry to hear about your loss. I’m pretty sure the car will be honored and it’s legacy will continue within good hands on this Forum and Buick Club. Would someone please post a copy of that Bugle edition?

3 hours ago, sherbert said:

That would be great, I. Just got on this website today and do not know how to private message on it

Click the username of the person to whom you want to send the personal message.   By clicking his name, you'll be taken to a different page. That page belongs to the user.  On that page, you'll see an icon of an envelope.  Click on the envelope and you'll get a new screen where you can type and send your message. Good luck.

Hi Sherbert, I have sent you a personal message or PM with my contact details. At the top of your page there should be a link to your messages (is a small 'letter' like image next to a 'bell' image) and if you follow that link then you will find my message to you. If your having trouble finding the link then let me know and we will work it out. Don't stress too much as it wouldn't be the first time I could not work out a Forum web page! Thanks, Drew.

• 2 months later...

Hi all, just updating my original post. I am still looking for a good 2 door Hardtop Special or Century. Any leads then please let me know.

Unfortunately, no success so far. I was seriously looking at a nice 2 door HT Special in bittersweet and white. Located in Missouri, the car has only some 26000 original miles and the top of the car is in very good condition but after having a vehicle inspection completed, for me there is too much rust and corrosion on the undercarriage. Having said that it may well suit someone who can do the work themselves.

Thanks

Drew

14 hours ago, 56 Buick said:

Hi all, just updating my original post. I am still looking for a good 2 door Hardtop Special or Century. Any leads then please let me know.

Unfortunately, no success so far. I was seriously looking at a nice 2 door HT Special in bittersweet and white. Located in Missouri, the car has only some 26000 original miles and the top of the car is in very good condition but after having a vehicle inspection completed, for me there is too much rust and corrosion on the undercarriage. Having said that it may well suit someone who can do the work themselves.

Thanks

Drew

Sounds like a 126000 original mile car.