BEAULIEU 2017

Terry Bond

Did anyone make it to Beaulieu this year?  I realize I should post under the swap meet forum, and if moderators feel so inclined to make the switch, that's ok. But, Beaulieu is such a multifaceted international event I think any comments or especially photos would be welcome here.  It is the British version of Hershey.  It's been years since I've been there and know it's changed a bunch (haven't they all) but I still have it on my bucket list to get back.  Have had several friends who attend regularly and send photos and I'll try to post a few from them.  I've not checked youtube yet but did notice that one of my favorite websites catering to the hobby across the pond are posting some info.  http://www.prewarcar.com/

Your thoughts and especially photos welcome.

Terry

Never been Terry but thanks for posting, looks like a great time! Will ad to my bucket list!

ACF

Its an interesting event. It's held on the grounds of the National Motor Museum there and you need an admission ticket to get in unless you are a vendor  I remember lining up with hundreds of others waiting for the designated opening time, then when the gates were opened, it was a mad frenzy to fan out into the far corners to begin searching for treasure. It was a Saturday/Sunday event with a special section opening on Sunday for just those single day vendors.  It was like a K-Mart blue light special.  Everything seemed smaller, from the size of the stands to the merchandise offered.  It was a fascinating event with loads of early stuff and many vendors from all over the continent.  I had a great time finding early European spark plugs, brass lamps, accessories, etc. etc.  From some of the pictures I've seen it was a great hunting ground for automobilia, including porcelain signs, etc.  Of course we would be chasing stuff for our British vehicles so we're sure to find something.  Right now the exchange rate isn't too bad, but prices are high there so we may not be able to afford much once we get there.   We may begin planning for next year and see what happens.

Terry

Here are a couple of photos from this year courtesy of Mike Shears, who got some neat pics of stuff I like to see.  He reports fewer great automobilia stands, but what is there is great.  It's a treasure hunt anyway.  Terry

2017 1.JPG

2017 3.JPG

2017 4.JPG

2017 5.JPG

2017 8.JPG

2017 10.JPG

2017 11.JPG

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Unfortunately even Hershey is a bucket list item for me.  I do manage Portland OR. most years .  The West Coast of Canada is a long way from most events and the $ Canadian is a long way from real world car hobby $.  But it sure does look like a first class event.  On the table with all the signs I even see something I can afford , an MGA dash . Too bad I have at least one extra already.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

5 hours ago, aestorrs said:

Hi All-

Where is this location of this show?

Al Storrs

In the southern end of the New Forest at Beaulieu, Hampshire, England. It is about a 40 minute drive west from Southampton and an hour east from Bournemouth on the B3056, which is called Hatchet Lane.

If you are in southern England any time, the National Motor Museum is well worth the trip!

Terry, I keep thinking I'll get back across the pond some day. Thanks for posting the pictures. ?

Edited by Phillip Cole (see edit history)

Yes, fond memories and it's something we keep talking about.  I had a great time there and spend an evening in the Beaulieu Roadhouse Pub mingling with some of vintage motorings greats.  At that time it wasn't all that common to see a yank there and I was treated pretty well.  Don't recall having to buy a beer that evening.  I was presented with one of the posters advertising the event that hung over the bar and still have it framed out in my barn.  When were you over there?

Terry

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)

I worked in Bournemouth the summer of 1997 and Fareham in 2002. Spent time off traveling, especially to car museums, auto jumbles, etc. 

If you still get our Members Parade, I'm starting a short series on Australian cars this month. We spent a month down under this past winter. 

i enjoy getting the Members Parade and have promised an article for some time now -about autojumbles of course!

Terry

Looking forward to it!

While in Bournemouth we used to go to the auto jumble at the parade grounds and to the shows on the boardwalk. Learned a lot just sitting around talking. They loved my accent and I loved their's.

I bought several classic car books in Beaulieu to further my education.

My Uk home is in Southampton and beaulieu is pretty local , quite interesting museum, few early American , but little 40 and 50s my favourite period . Great Top gear exhibit . Beaulieu benefits from being in the heart of the New Forest , great pubs , hotels , sceanic walks in natural woodland . 

If any member visits the area in the next few years , be great to meet up, just pm me.

No, not the teens and twenties. Basically, the models from Aussie plants, which we actually saw and I could get a picture: Holden, Valiant, various Utes, etc. I spoke with owners.

I see you are from Bowral. Are there websites with info on early 20th century cars in Australia?

Edited by Phillip Cole
Addition (see edit history)