350 swap to 63 buick skylark

63 buick youngster

6 hours ago, 63 buick youngster said:

But I really don't wanna cut the original from the frame ?

This car doesn't have a frame.  It's a unibody car.  There is a suspension crossmember that bolts to the unibody and also has welded-on mounts for the rubber motor mounts. Your bigger problem is that the iron Buick 350 weighs about twice what the original aluminum V8 weighed. Brakes, suspension, rear axle are all undersized.  A far easier swap is the 4.6 liter Rover motor, which is externally identical to the original 215. 300 HP out of one of those is not difficult, and power to weight is better than for most musclecars.

7 hours ago, padgett said:

AFAIR, an offset engine mount point is not hard to weld up and just bolts in. '63 Pontiac Tempest had the 326 as an option which should weigh about the same as a long stoke Buick 350.

The Tempest also had different front suspension, different brakes, and five bolt wheels instead of four bolt.  It also had the transaxle in the back, which made up for the difference in engine weight on the front wheels and suspension.

• Thanks 1

I would think this car will be a real bit*h to handle with the weight up front. The rear end will be so light if driven in wet weather or snow/ice it's could break loose very easily. The brakes aren't big enough and the suspension is too light, it just may be completely unsafe. There is a good reason cars are made to be balanced besides a better ride, they are much safer. There is a good reason they originally put a light aluminum engine in that car, that should be  a consideration when switching engines. Just because you have an old engine or a cheap engine doesn't mean you should use it. If you do this ill advise swap I hope you don't hurt yourself or anyone else in the future use of the car. Good luck. 

• Thanks 1

Ohh ok thanks but all that is in process of stiiffining the front n the rear will be a dana 60 5 lugs n weather wise I live in the high dessert land speed records have been broken here alot of people that did this when they were young getting advise from hotrod builders here in town  im not doing it just to do it or be cheap I did it bcause I hav3 3 more engine I would of done a 440 I have or a ls  but I dont want to do what others did already besides I can just unbolt n lift the 350 n drop the 215 n bolt it n good to go

On an orphan swap one often has to fabricate many things from just angle, plate, and tubing so I hope you have tools and skills. One place you might check is Chassis Engineering in West Branch, Iowa. They make many conversion kits and also universal ones. On the universal one they will tell you what measurements they need and send a kit that will probably need a little tweaking but not a big deal. CE is about the only one that offers a choice of weld in or bolt in for most all it's kits. As far as suspension is concerned I'd first check out parts for the station wagon as these were often heavier duty. Your present suspension was designed for a possible load of six passengers plus a safety margin so it MIGHT work with just a driver but that's a big if.

• Thanks 1

but I dont want to do what others did already

I was going to keep my mouth shut... but this line here... why would you want to put a 350 into anything if you like the idea of being different? Why not keep it in the Pontiac family at least (and not a Pontiac 350... since you might as well go 400 at that point). IDK, seems like an awful lot of work, and you're not trying to be cheap about it, why cheap out on the most overused motor in history? A '63 Pontiac is a cool muscle car... a 350 is not a cool muscle car motor.. Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing your machine! I just might like it with the hood down alot more than up!

I think the weight issues have been well posed and just think how much cooler and more unique it would be to address them synergisticly rather than square peg round hole big hammer.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Frantz said:

I was going to keep my mouth shut... but this line here... why would you want to put a 350 into anything if you like the idea of being different? Why not keep it in the Pontiac family at least (and not a Pontiac 350... since you might as well go 400 at that point).

You DO realize he has a BUICK Skylark and is putting a BUICK 350 into it, right?

35 minutes ago, 63 buick youngster said:

Lol it's 350 buick engine I didnt want to put a Chevy I keept it buick n engine is in and it fits like a glove now for the suspension I will order new suspension springs n see how it sits

If you are raising your front spring rate , also raise your rear spring rate proportionally. It is necessary for proper handling. Rear spring rate higher than front.  - Carl