White wall stick ons

Pilgrim65

I know there's been plenty said on here about white wall tyres , Coker whites , preferred width of white band etc.

However as one of my tyres with an inch white band has just blown ,  having trouble sourcing another over here . Have managed to buy correct size 225/75 , 15 inch but no white so have bought a set of Atlas 2 inch whitewall addons (eBay) , wondered if any members had tried such? And how successful. Probably not to many of you in states as you can easily buy real ones.

cheers

pilgrim

Hi,

Be warned, these white wall  addons are held in between the rim and the tire and at speed they can fly out.

I had it with a chevy at over 70mph , but I was lucky that the wheel ran with a tube inside the tyre. Half the whitewall was missing when I stopped and half was still stuck between the tire and the rim. If it had been a tubeless tire, I would probably have had a blowout. Some places have banned their use because this can happen.

• Like 1

Those "Porta-Walls" look ok at first, but before long they lose their close fit to the tire and stick out around the edges from the flexing of the tire.  I used them  in the '70's on a daily driver to match blackwall tires with ww ones.  Never did one come off, but they were made of a rubber compound that had little tensile strength so a few brushes with a curb and they were vulnerable.  I think a better approach would be to just paint the whitewall on with a latex base white paint.  

• Like 1

Not recommended for radial tires.  I had them on an old VW and the tire flexed so much that the port-a-walls wore a 1/4" grove in the sidewall at the outer edge..  Looked great, were cheap and they eventually turned brown too.  

Edited by Paul Dobbin (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I had portawalls on my '52 Ford and they looked good for quite a while.  My friend at a gas station put them on and he used a rubber hammer smacking them down all around the diameter when they were partially inflated and making them dirty,  but they were flush on the tire. Then fully inflating the tire.  SOS cleaned them up.  Probably not good to use on radials.

Edited by michel88
added info (see edit history)