Need split rim tire changing instruction

DO NOT USE the rim spreader. Do this instead. Get the correct tool and do it this way....put the flat end of the wrench into the slot and crank the tab towards the center. Do just the opposite when reassembling. You will only ruin the rim band with that rim spreader. The correct tool will open the rim band just enough to not warp it.

576f2b4cd0e89_Picture7386.jpg.455fb8ab1a22f08771d19c05cf7c08fc.jpg

576f2c2c751af_Picture5421.jpg.80fda47ae8907ee1f5c12bda38e4378f.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Oh....you will have to spin the tube a little bit past the air valve hole as when you return it to it's original position, it will shift a bit. Make sure you have the tube/valve core out of the valve so the tube is really pliable and no air keeps it from deflating all of the way. It will be a tight fit with your fingers to get the tube just right. BE CERTAIN THE RIM BAND UNDER THE TUBE IS CLEAN.

Hopefully, you have not already put too much cranking pressure on the rim with that spreader. If it ends up being warped from the spreader, be certain you put it back to "round" prior to reassembly.

Keiser,

I'm not at all familiar with this type of rim, just curious. If one doesn't have the tool you posted could a half inch flex bar be used or is the hole not square?

Greg

FHBB12.jpg

1 hour ago, GregLaR said:

Keiser,

I'm not at all familiar with this type of rim, just curious. If one doesn't have the tool you posted could a half inch flex bar be used or is the hole not square?

Greg

FHBB12.jpg

It is not a square hole. I have used a huge screwdriver to turn them, but it is VERY difficult without the offset in the wrench for leverage.

I hate to admit it but that looks a lot easier than the "Jaxon" rims that GM uses.  In fact it even looks easier than Studebaker's style.

2 hours ago, Tinindian said:

I hate to admit it but that looks a lot easier than the "Jaxon" rims that GM uses.  In fact it even looks easier than Studebaker's style.

They are fairly easy. I did a demonstration speech when I was a kid in high school about how to change a 1931 Dodge flat tire. The other kids saw me rolling the spare tire down the halls of the school and thought I was a little nutty. The teacher gave me an 'A' mostly on originality. Basically, once you shrink the rim, you just lift off the tire with the tube in it. Easy, peasy.

As easy as it is Keiser , you must remember there are people here now who may have never worked with tubes on bikes or cars . And the rim is only a part of it . You talked of the under liner ,but there is stem alignment and powdering pre-inflating to set and prevent pinching , and other we somtimes take for granted . Picture or u-tube and the thousand words worth play here also . I did my first set on a car last year and almost forgot about tube liner as prior had none and tube was rusted to rim , and then bounce to ground to set tube and bead ,only to have rim collapse and tube bulge out side until it exploded . Just Thoughts . And love that you got an A  , originality is best .  

An alternate option is to find a tire shop that can work on truck split rims.  Look for an older shop in a small town.   Many farm communities can handle split rims on older equipment.  Take your spreader.

I use a large screwdriver with square shaft & use a vice grip to clamp & turn the rim release.  I also use the rim spreader in connection with release.

On 8/6/2017 at 3:04 PM, huptoy said:

An alternate option is to find a tire shop that can work on truck split rims.  Look for an older shop in a small town.   Many farm communities can handle split rims on older equipment.  Take your spreader.

I use a large screwdriver with square shaft & use a vice grip to clamp & turn the rim release.  I also use the rim spreader in connection with release.

Using the word "split rim" in a tire shop trends to set off a panic because the newer split rims require special care because of possible injury.

These older split rims can be changed with a tire bar and a screwdriver. I was able to change these rims using my shop tools. First one took 1 hour to figure out but the last one took 15 minutes 

IMG_2532.thumb.JPG.8a66682fcc23364956ffab6a7cf217dc.JPG