Help a Museum identify a car

Guest Shelby County Museum

Hey folks!  New to the Forum.  I have a set of photographs and we're trying to identify the subjects.

One of them features a car and I'm hoping that someone here can identify it.  

I appreciate any help or guidance that ya'll could provide with this.

Nate

Library Photo 3.jpg

35 minutes ago, zipdang said:

Could someone please explain the odd-to-me tires?

Maybe tire covers for more protection or traction. Could be that the tires beneath the covers are smooth. The added nubs would help in the dirt.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

I have my doubts about Tourist - which by the way is on p 1428 in my 1982 Standard catalog - for several reasons. There is a surviving restored car - the white one - and compared with that this car has a different radiator shape (no guarantee of course that the white car has the right radiator on it though!). Also the white car has full elliptic springs where the car here has semi-elliptic front springs. The car here does bear a similarity to one picture in the 1907 section of Tourist in The Standard Catalog but I suspect that is a four cylinder car with its engine up front. The car here obviously has its engine underneath,

Gosh that Tourist sure looks similar, doesn't it?!

I thought the tires were interesting as well and assumed they were some aftermarket stud or protective tire.

Appreciating the responses!  I'll continue to monitor for responses and dissenting opinions!

This car was owned by people in Shelby County, Iowa.  It's a very rural area and I believe that the folks who owned it may have been prominent cattle ranchers.

The 'radiator on the original car does not have a core so the car may be air cooled. I am still puzzled as to why the pictures of Tourist cars before and after 1907 have full elliptic springs but that one has semis. The big question of course is - how did a California built car which was mostly sold in California get to outer rural Iowa?

Edited by nzcarnerd (see edit history)

I sent this  to our SVVS Help Pages knowledgeable expert Ariejan Bos who has a system for identifying obscure early cars and he advised this was indeed an American car. However not a Tourist (the top of the radiator is not round enough for a Tourist), but a Jackson. Not very clear if it is a model C or model D: it has the bonnet top-lid of the model C, but the dumb iron shape of the model D. However Ariejan thinks that it is a model C.

More investigation on the internet suggests the Jackson was preceded by the ‘Orlo’ car in 1904 which also looks similar. The first Jaxon was a steam car in 1903. A Jaxon petrol car followed. In 1904 name was changed to Jackson and new ‘Model C’ came out. In 1906 a larger Model D  and G were introduced.

Kind Regards
Vintman

www.svvs.org

Edited by Vintman (see edit history)

Thanks so much for the responses!  I really appreciate the effort in identifying this automobile.

Based on hood louvers and other details, does not match Jackson. Close to the "Tourist" illustration, especially hood louvers and chrome strip on hood fold,  note car pictured has wheels with 12 spokes and flat topped rear fenders, while illustration car has 10 spokes and upswept rear fender. Otherwise, cars are virtually identical. Issue with "rad core" is likely a photographic illusion. It is not unusual for illustrations, which often preceded production, to have details slightly different from final production vehicles. My vote goes to it being a "Tourist". 

6 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Has anyone looked at RAMBLER from around 1908? Bob Image result for 1908 rambler

Wrong radiator shape, wrong fender style, wrong hubcaps. Rear door opens the wrong way. Tourist also has the wrong radiator shape. Tourist two cylinder cars would appear to have full elliptic springs.

The Rambler also has different cowl shape, and includes a windshield. The 1.5" wide chrome strip on the hood where top meets sides in original topic photo, is a unique and perhaps tell tale signal that it is a Tourist, as even the Tourist illustration has it. As mentioned earlier, variation in what appears to be shape of rad shell and core or no core is likely angle of photography. Interestingly, the "Tourist Illustration" shows the Cowl Lights a few inches forward of the cowl while the 3 actual photos (Rambler, Jackson and topic car) have cowl lights more or less at side of Cowl. Again, Illustrations were often entitled to some artistic license.

Interesting that we are still on a debate on this one? The enquiry photo is similar to my other early photos of a Jackson. It seems to be a transition model between the C and D as advised by Ariejan. From what I can make out the D was the ’same’ car with a bigger engine. Cs were made for a number of years so would presumably have been updated marginally as they went along. The 1905 Jackson ‘C’ has 12 spokes back and front, has 12 bonnet louvers, has bonnet flap at top rear, has a strip (probably brass not chrome) by the bonnet hinge, has the controls quadrant and levers below the steering wheel, front of rear spring shackles match, rear braking mechanisms match, chain drive, and single handbrake lever. Side light attachments are on the side of the scuttle. Attached photo also has the tyre protector on one of the front wheels.

Regards

Vintman

www.svvs.org

Jackson_1907 C or D touring car.jpg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Vintman said:

Interesting that we are still on a debate on this one? The enquiry photo is similar to my other early photos of a Jackson. It seems to be a transition model between the C and D as advised by Ariejan. From what I can make out the D was the ’same’ car with a bigger engine. Cs were made for a number of years so would presumably have been updated marginally as they went along. The 1905 Jackson ‘C’ has 12 spokes back and front, has 12 bonnet louvers, has bonnet flap at top rear, has a strip (probably brass not chrome) by the bonnet hinge, has the controls quadrant and levers below the steering wheel, front of rear spring shackles match, rear braking mechanisms match, chain drive, and single handbrake lever. Side light attachments are on the side of the scuttle. Attached photo also has the tyre protector on one of the front wheels.

Regards

Vintman

www.svvs.org

Jackson_1907 C or D touring car.jpg

See this car also has a tyre cover(rf).