Mystery car crushed by Mack Bulldog truck.

nzcarnerd

This pic was on the HAMB recently and I was puzzled by the crushed car. Overhead valve six with rounded top radiator suggests Nash but that transverse rear spring?? There is the hint of a hubcap on the spare wheel mount. An interesting view of the Mack's magneto and water pump.

Hamb p 4580 truck crash.jpg

Edited by nzcarnerd (see edit history)

The engine looks very much like the one that was in my 17 Marmon 34, with the horn mounted on top of the rocker cover and the forward exhaust pipe. The hub cap looks like the wire wheel cap minus the Marmon tag. I don't have a photo, but the Marmon used a double transverse rear spring... The rear shock is exactly the same as mine...

My guess, late teens Marmon 34...

Frank

IMG_1571a.jpg

IMG_1575a.jpg

Edited by oldford (see edit history)

The photo was probably taken in or near Worcester, Massachusetts. Shipments went long distances by train. Trucks were used locally. As to the spectators, they aren't particularly well dressed. What we see is quite ordinary for the late teens through twenties. There was a real social stigma attached to going out in public dressed like a slob and the popular notion of "casual" hadn't been invented yet. You will notice that all of the men are wearing hats... another convention of the time.

6 hours ago, oldford said:

The engine looks very much like the one that was in my 17 Marmon 34, with the horn mounted on top of the rocker cover and the forward exhaust pipe. The hub cap looks like the wire wheel cap minus the Marmon tag. I don't have a photo, but the Marmon used a double transverse rear spring... The rear shock is exactly the same as mine...

My guess, late teens Marmon 34...

Frank

IMG_1571a.jpg

IMG_1575a.jpg

Does your Marmon have pockets on the interior of the door like the one under the truck has?

17 hours ago, JV Puleo said:

The photo was probably taken in or near Worcester, Massachusetts. Shipments went long distances by train. Trucks were used locally. As to the spectators, they aren't particularly well dressed. What we see is quite ordinary for the late teens through twenties. There was a real social stigma attached to going out in public dressed like a slob and the popular notion of "casual" hadn't been invented yet. You will notice that all of the men are wearing hats... another convention of the time.

Agree , was comparing with apparel often seen today , think  I prefer the formality of  those times. 

2 hours ago, Pilgrim65 said:

Agree , was comparing with apparel often seen today , think  I prefer the formality of  those times. 

Easy assumption to make as gawkers today most likely will have ill-fitting t-shirts and caps hawking a product or life style.

12 minutes ago, Ric Dean said:

Easy assumption to make as gawkers today most likely will have ill-fitting t-shirts and caps hawking a product or life style.

my wife agrees about the ill fitting  t shirt , not into base ball caps ?

Also I remember my dad working on his cars with his tie on .

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)
  • Haha 1