Need a head recast to machine.

Rogerrabbit

Actually, what you need is the best pattern shop available. Is this head hollow? Size? Material? Do you have a head that can be destroyed to get the measurements on the inside? It's not as simple as finding the best casting shop possible. If the head is hollow you are looking at several thousands of dollars for the pattern and core box. Be prepared, this discussion will likely almost immediately turn to 3-D printing. Casting your head is the easy and cheap part. The pattern work is the difficult and expensive part. We have castings done on a regular basis so we know of what we speak.

Look up Jay Leno's Garage on Youtube, he has done a couple of videos on 3d printing in relation to making otherwise unobtainable old car parts. I believe your head could be made this way, or patterns made for casting new heads. It's not cheap but it is probably the easiest and cheapest way to do it.

Heads are generally not difficult to source, and the few cars that had issues pre war, almost all are available now. There are only three or four engines I can think of that would be difficult to source. ID the car, engine, series, and I bet the members here will have a 98 percent chance of helping you locate one. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

My money is on Rog' talking Lex' : Roger I did get a call back from Bernie Long. He then had to tend to something , said he would get back to me. But he is very old , and in far worse health than I am. I had planned on seeing him over a month ago , but it may well be a month yet at this point. I'll place another call. Is this a Lexington ? It was something somewhat obscure starting with "L" , but my health condition is about 1/2 way between yours and Bernie. I don't have too many moments which are NOT senior ! Best of luck to you regardless of the make of head. I can see you are going into this eyes wide open. It will be interesting to see how you make out.   - Carl

image.jpeg

11 hours ago, Rogerrabbit said:

In need of someone

If you need help in the ENTIRE process itself, from a true hobby guy, but also owns the largest vintage auto yard in the country... call Skip at French Lake Auto Parts in MN.  He is one of the original founders sons, and was/is the one who has taken over as the "guy" in charge.

He told me by phone, some years ago, just out of the blue...that HE had "made", meaning did the legwork and funding, to repro a hard to get exhaust manifold .  As I recall as best I can, the first run was a quantity of 100 manifolds!

I do know he is a member here but don't know his nickname, but on HAMB, he is 396Skip or turn that backwards where the skip part is!