My 1957 75R - Big Gray

lancemb

7 hours ago, dei said:

Nice job on the fuse block Lance. I'm going to have to do the one for the Limited and have the harness from the Roadmaster out in storage which likely needs cleaning up too. Can't hurt right?

The linkage looks great!

You say you painted it, can I ask what with and the colour? My screen doesn't show it well.

Doug

Cleaning up the fuse block is a chore that provides less immediate satisfaction, but may save frustration later, so definitely recommend.

I plated, not painted the linkage...silver (clear) cadmium.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lancemb said:

Cleaning up the fuse block is a chore that provides less immediate satisfaction, but may save frustration later, so definitely recommend.

I plated, not painted the linkage...silver (clear) cadmium.

Well DANG!

Lot's of excuses asking the question when  I just needed to READ your post. Sorry.

I'll call it late at night or maybe smelling too much metal polish?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

Easier to bleed em now. 

I'm sure it is.  I was just putting it off because I want to swap a couple things on the brakes before I adjust everything up (at least preliminarily) before I bleed them, and I'm anxious to make progress on other stuff.  However, I'm waiting on a couple things anyway so I just might tackle finishing brakes next.

• Like 2

I was thinking of just a "gravity bleeding" of the system while the inner fenders were off.  But I will admit that I thought of this cause it's getting tougher for me to bend at my knees.  You, and others, may not have that consideration.  🤔

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Lance, 

Big Gray is really taking shape and looking fantastic. Wow! Keep up the good work as you are an inspiration to me slugging it out on the Estate Wagon right now. Love your progress. 

• Like 1

The vital parts are beginning to come together.  There are still plenty of hours of tedious tasks, but to see it at this point is jolly good!

Some of these parts have been collected for a long time, long last to find their home.  But they are not the last...

20201120_181332.thumb.jpg.a03cfbbd1580b5054be9f41df73bd92b.jpg

• Like 11

Today's project was installing an original NOS 1957 Buick Autronic Eye System, while access is good.  Some of the installation instructions were missing, so I had to use information from Cadillac and Pontiac installations to get it put together correctly as there is no available documentation other than what came in the box.

On the Cadillac the large amplifier goes on the driver side (thanks @g-g-g0 for pics), but Buick has the battery on this side.  Hence, the Buick amplifier comes with a super-long cable to move it to the passenger side.  The relay stays on the driver side to be near the headlight harness.

Luckily, I do have the template for installing the eye on the dashboard.  That part will happen later after I get the dash in.  When I do, I'll simply need to plug it in.

There is a little shelf wear on the amplifier, but I didn't want to mess with it and ruin the originality.

20201125_151452.thumb.jpg.6b7db33996168d09e1b3bab162ea5c6e.jpg

20201125_144205.thumb.jpg.63ab33333b236340a19cae5318efeca5.jpg

Edited by lancemb (see edit history)
  • Like 8

On 11/9/2020 at 2:03 AM, lancemb said:

Got the rest of the braking system together.  I wound up going with the cad-plated booster can since I had it already.  I haven't installed fluid yet; I'll do that once I get more done since it's not ready to move yet anyway.

20201108_180725.thumb.jpg.5934bcc8085d24105921e95d9bbc8a9f.jpg

Looks very good. Great job. One question regarding the booster, is that they way it would come from the assembly plant? I'm just in middle of doing mine.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Christmas has made for no progress until this week.  I made some small progress by getting the glovebox, radio, and steering column braces installed.  I should have some more time this weekend.

One thing that's driving me crazy is that I have one extra instrumentation light dangling that I can't find a home for!  It rests comfortably near the back of the ashtray but I can't see anywhere for it to go.

20201229_153754.thumb.jpg.c6c565fc544db6cce1a2c7a2f28366ac.jpg

20201229_171948.thumb.jpg.b94766fc1531d4202b97978f19922a84.jpg

20201229_172012.thumb.jpg.3e2dc41bb4d163b2eb8f05be877b965e.jpg

• Like 7

I got the rest of the dash put together, which included the lower panel and the accompanying items - parking brake indicator, vent, speed minder, and also the switch and bezel underneath it for the power antenna.

Besides the speedo cable, everything that can be hooked up on the dash at this point is.  I want to lube the speedo cable before hooking it up and didn't get around to it yet.  The original looks to be in good shape so I'm going to use it.

I am getting ready to put the steering column back in next.  It has a broken shift lever spring, which I had to order.  The horn ring is also not right so at some point I will take the wheel off and see what's going on there as well

I also figured out where the stray bulb went - behind the shift indicator. 

20201231_163925.thumb.jpg.2ecfe972ffb42892e8a419a88a24917e.jpg

• Like 5

It steers again!  I fixed the horn ring as well, which was missing a part and installed a new turn signal lever.  I still need to hook up the neutral safety switch and turn signal switch.  Next, I'll install the gas pedal and the footboard plate around the column.

I took my collection of horn emblems and found 2 very nice ones, and a very nice bezel forv this car.  The other emblem I'll be installing in an NOS bezel for the 76C.

20210102_180611.thumb.jpg.6cab9ce5d4241773e71468f679d6a59d.jpg

• Like 13

I got my rebuilt horns back and bolted on.  I'd originally thought of trying to fix them myself, but a bench test showed the contacts were stuck and probably welded together.  I don't have parts to fix them properly or a day to waste in failure so I sent them to an expert.

I also got the correct size and style battery and bolted it in place.  I am not quite ready to feed power to it though. 

20210108_120702.thumb.jpg.43c2cc852a0b3e308cd05bb2747f2b3d.jpg

• Like 8

I only had a little time this weekend due to a house storage project taking most of the day, but managed to install plate and seals around steering column, the overlying rubber mat, gas pedal, turn signal and neutral safety switches.

Next I'll start installing some remaining bits in engine bay, hook up trans cooler lines to radiator, start adding fluids, and bleed brakes.

20210109_173323.thumb.jpg.360ca433b7e0ec774a619e2b4bd54ff5.jpg

• Like 7

On 1/9/2021 at 4:53 PM, lancemb said:

I only had a little time this weekend due to a house storage project taking most of the day, but managed to install plate and seals around steering column, the overlying rubber mat, gas pedal, turn signal and neutral safety switches.

Next I'll start installing some remaining bits in engine bay, hook up trans cooler lines to radiator, start adding fluids, and bleed brakes.

20210109_173323.thumb.jpg.360ca433b7e0ec774a619e2b4bd54ff5.jpg

You have two helpers lined up for the brake bleeding? That tiny fluid reservoir need a watchful eye too! 

6 hours ago, High Desert said:

You have two helpers lined up for the brake bleeding? That tiny fluid reservoir need a watchful eye too! 

Unfortunately, no!  Since everything is new, I'm hoping that I'll have a nice flow and be able to gravity bleed it, for the most part.

I've also had a massive scope increase in my home project that is taking me away from this.  Somehow, storage shelves turned into a complete renovation of the laundry room.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to scavenge a few hours this week and got the fuel line run and associated brackets in place.  I also installed the washer bottle bracket and nearly got the last heater hose installed but the hose kept collapsing.  I decided I needed to install a fitting off the radiator that has a 90 degree bend to improve the matter.  Of course I could not find it locally so had to order it.

Then I thought I'd try bleeding the brakes, and I couldn't get one of the front bleeders open (brand new wheel cylinders).  The access to these bleeders is terrible on these cars.

Wanting to get something else meaningful accomplished, I did get the spring and shift lever installed.

More to come soon...

20210123_174610.thumb.jpg.0f14c99c82f3b87c592e69d851ee4c32.jpg

20210124_075909.thumb.jpg.2c64050e1306395a3c958e690ca0943c.jpg

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Smartin said:

I started to break the bleeders loose and then just snug them back up a bit, before I install them.  It seems they can be nearly impossible to loosen when in the car out of the box.

Funny thing is when I was putting cylinders on this particular one had had its bleeder robbed, so I actually put this one in!  Now I am smacking my own head for it.  I'll definitely be more mindful of this next time.

I started to grind down an old wrench for a custom fit, but didn't get it finished.  I turned the grinder off for a minute, and when I came back the grinder would not start; I think I burned the old thing up finally.

1 hour ago, 1957buickjim said:

Lance, what's the big black box on the inner fender over the generator you posted on your Sunday pictures? I've never seen that before in a 57? Please expound..

Jim, you will probably never see another one either!  It's the amplifier for the autronic eye.  It's an extremely rare, very late dealer option in 57 that you won't find in any literature, but it existed.  Scroll up a bit in this post to read a bit more on it.

20191116_104705.thumb.jpg.b06033f61d4f0ac2dfd78d1e931a5be7.jpg

• Thanks 1

Well, it took longer than I'd hoped, but I finally have a brake pedal that doesn't hit the floor!  I know more adjusting will be needed to the brakes to make it roadworthy, but at least it should stop now.

The bleeder screw on the front passenger side was stripped out, so I finally resigned myself to take the wheel cylinder off and replace it, which I did.

I did need a helper to bleed the brakes, and wound up having my father in law come by to help.  He's not a car guy, but has a fully functioning leg and foot and figured since I got his snowblower running properly I'd cash in a return favor.

In addition, my 90 degree hose barb arrived a few days ago and I was able to install that along with the last needed connection to the radiator, which is the heater hose to the lower passenger side of the radiator.  It fits so much better not having to make the hose bend 90 degrees; I can't believe they didn't do this from the factory.

20210130_141624.thumb.jpg.8a5a190b96a4dd2da14d658b953a4da1.jpg

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

@lancemb

Is that a flexible line for the transmission cooler?

The one in the far left of the picture?  Yes, but only a few inches.  The lines from the transmission come up to radiator and connect with a short piece of flexible hose to short pipes coming out of the radiator.  This is the original setup for 57s.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, lancemb said:

Well, it took longer than I'd hoped, but I finally have a brake pedal that doesn't hit the floor!  I know more adjusting will be needed to the brakes to make it roadworthy, but at least it should stop now.

The bleeder screw on the front passenger side was stripped out, so I finally resigned myself to take the wheel cylinder off and replace it, which I did.

I did need a helper to bleed the brakes, and wound up having my father in law come by to help.  He's not a car guy, but has a fully functioning leg and foot and figured since I got his snowblower running properly I'd cash in a return favor.

In addition, my 90 degree hose barb arrived a few days ago and I was able to install that along with the last needed connection to the radiator, which is the heater hose to the lower passenger side of the radiator.  It fits so much better not having to make the hose bend 90 degrees; I can't believe they didn't do this from the factory.

Lance the more I tear mine apart the more I keep saying "I can't believe they didn't do this at the factory!"  And don't get my partner in crime that is working on a 57 Olds right next to me started on that comment. We removed all of the back glass out of his yesterday and that is a epic disaster how they have it put together. 

• Haha 1