HPOF CarterCars a pair....

keiser31

Went over to a buddy's home the other day to help him get his home prepared for his granddaughter's college graduation party and visited his 1913 and 1914 CarterCars in his garage. HPOF cars if I ever saw any....

Picture 25297.jpg

Picture 25302.jpg

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, TerryB said:

Nice cars!  It's a shame to see them functioning as extra storage shelves in the garage.  From what I read there were novel cars of the day.

Terry

Yep....friction drive and well made.

Man ! HPOF originals ! As we get old enough to have grandkids in college, for many of us , o.k. ! MOST of us , our energy deteriorates significantly. It takes so much longer to do things. The ravages of accumulated years and injury , etc. conspire to make procrastination an easy way out. I hope these cars are properly laid up , fresh oil , cyls lubed , and engines hand cranked after lubricating the valves from time to time. Easy enough to do with cars kept at home. The wood spoke wheels should be unloaded if not driven every several months , (you used to find hub jacks at the swap meets) , and really , the cars should be taken off the blocks and driven , if even just every few years. Thanks , John , for the timely reminder !   - Carl

P.S.  : I just realized that these pre '16 cars , in the phenomenal original unrestored condition we see , would probably contribute a significant percentage towards a college degree ! Remember back in far more rational , less greedy times , when people did not have to go into crippling debt to help society and themselves by getting an education ? It's been a long time , but I seem to remember $88 a quarter at U. of Wash. Oh I could be wrong. I dropped out to go to work at Boeing. I have heard that in California, at State institutions, there was no tuition for residents at all , but I find that hard to believe. Of course back in those days , the relative few of us old car guys could find even the great classics at just about affordable prices. I lost "my" 1930 Mercedes-Benz SS 38/250 factory bodied tourer at $2500 from a friend , by not dropping out of high school to go to sea for Crowly to make the $$$ for it. Too late for the M-B , "I saved my nickels and I saved my dimes" , not for a "409 , 409 , 409 , 409" , but for an exquisite early , carbureted ( 3 DCOE 45s) Maserati 3500. Another super great inside deal (from my mothers boss at work) , for $2200 !!!! Oh wait a minute ! I have just picked up the trail of "my" SS 38/250 ! Let me show you a pic of it ! When it was offered to me , it was well kept , up on blocks , driven every 6 months on fresh oil. It was original , white with red leather , these days too nice to touch cosmetically. It has now been thoroughly "restored" , with a massive amount of money spent on the mechanicals. This includes synchromesh "upgrade". I would not be able to afford that feat of engineering. Maybe 25 years ago I came across a pair of Carl Zeiss - Jena headlight lenses for sale at Hershey. Ironically , $2500 ! Apiece ! I wonder what "my" old M-B would have been like left totally , perfectly preserved , with all the mechanical attention it has received ? My bucket list includes seeing it one more time. Any of you guys know the present owner ? I have just edited again for an interesting trivia bit. The car carries a single sidemount.  That is a trunk on the rear. Sigh !

image.jpeg

Edited by C Carl
Add P.S. (see edit history)
  • Like 2

The car in the first photo was driven last about 3-4 years ago in a local 4th of July parade. It came home to the other car and neither one has moved since. The owner is 88 and his wife isn't that much younger. If the cars were in my price range, i would try to own at least one of them. They are both completely original with very low miles. Here is the one in the first photo....

• Like 1

I found a 1913 Cartercar for a local collector, and he ended up buying not only that car (a very nice one), but also a couple of parts cars from an auction out west.  The story has some twists and turns, and involves me acquiring a 1969 Camaro convertible from him, and subsequently acquiring an 1898 Pierce bicycle from the seller, but that's another story!

Although I'm guilty, one of the things that sticks with me, and is mentioned above, using your collector car as a shelf is a sad state of affairs.  A friend of mine told me that was really showing little respect for the history of the car, and every time I'm tempted to put something on one of the cars, I hesitate, remember his words, and try to find any other flat surface.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, old car fan said:

Love to get the pair,hate to see them go apart.Are they for sale? All of our early cars are original.We have a new building ,They would be in good hands

They ARE for sale and if you like, I can find out what the gentleman wants for them.

1 hour ago, trimacar said:

I found a 1913 Cartercar for a local collector, and he ended up buying not only that car (a very nice one), but also a couple of parts cars from an auction out west.  The story has some twists and turns, and involves me acquiring a 1969 Camaro convertible from him, and subsequently acquiring an 1898 Pierce bicycle from the seller, but that's another story!

Although I'm guilty, one of the things that sticks with me, and is mentioned above, using your collector car as a shelf is a sad state of affairs.  A friend of mine told me that was really showing little respect for the history of the car, and every time I'm tempted to put something on one of the cars, I hesitate, remember his words, and try to find any other flat surface.

Good thinking. If you get in the habit of setting things on a car it will get covered in scratches and dents eventually, guaranteed. I have a car in the garage that I paid a lot of money to have painted. It is under a car cover but I won't set anything on it, I don't even like walking by it carrying anything heavy.

Guilty of piling stuff on my first '31 DB back in my garage. Lucky for me it's not painted with any finish or even good primer. Just a brushed on Indian Red Rustoleum (when I was 15 years old). Oh, and most of the stuff piled ON the car belongs on the car.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

There was an original Carter Car, I think a 1913,

in the HPOF class at the Hershey fall meet  a few years ago.

It was neither of these, and the owner is an acquaintance.  

It showed the historical value of an all-original car:

The ribbed rubber floor mat in front had a large

"Carter Car" logo as part of the design.  If someone

had restored this car, such a distinctive floor mat 

would have been replaced by a generically plain ribbed rubber mat. 

Thank goodness the car has lasted over 100 years untouched.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Oh , I was encouraging you to get those two original Cartercars you expressed interest in , before someone else does. Like what happened when I snoozed and lost out on the above 'Benz when I was a kid. $2500 back then , what ? 3 ? 4 ? , I don't cruise at those levels , but how many million $ today ? I really don't know. But surely a few of them. At any rate , as you and I and so many more and more these days prefer well kept original cars , I am just saying : GO GET 'EM ! We all have regrets over cars we should have bought. Right ?   - Carl

Sorry C Carl I'm on it now, Got you. Would love to have them, it amazes me he has two ,yes ,I want them, love to have them, not seen the price as of yet. We have 2 cars we are restoring at this time, so we need to see the owners price. I would not restore these cars. Our next car in the shop is a 12 Hudson, All original, never will be restored buy us

Edited by old car fan (see edit history)