Might need a Nailhead Buick in my life, have ?s

Chase392

Hi guys,

Lately I've been thinking (always dangerous) that I really could use a 50's project car to nicely balance the 100 year spread in my other two fun cars. Never one to go mainstream I've increasingly looked at Nailhead Buicks thinking that might be the car for me. Style-wise I must say I'm quite fond of the 55-57 cars, but the various models and trim lines have me stumped, can you guys shed a little light on this for me?

I am correct that there are 4 models: Special, Super, Century and Roadmaster, and that the Riviera is trim line on the models?

I am also correct that there are two wheelbases? Are there two platforms (an example being GM B and C-bodys) or are they the same basic platform, meaning suspension interchanges, etc? Do Buicks have any mechanical interchange with 50's GM cars or are they pretty much unique to Buick? I've been reading up on Dynaflows and Torque Tubes so I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this one....

Are 55-57s all the same "generation"? Will mechanical parts interchange?

Besides the obvious floor, rocker rust, any other trouble spots to look out for? Old Buicks seem to pop up fairly often in my area for sale... the dismal swamp (aka SE Texas). Not in huge rush to find one just want to be armed with the knowledge with the time comes.

Thanks in advance :D

Riviera in this period just refers to no post between side windows.  I am not certain about wheelbase differences in 55-56, but in 57 Special and Century were a smaller wheelbase and body; most body parts do not interchange between the two.  Generally speaking Buicks of this era do not share much of anything with other GM line with only a couple of exceptions.

57 saw the introduction of a new 364 cui engine up from 322 cui in 56.  57 shares mechanicals most closely with the 58.  There were numerous other mechanical updates from 56-57.

Besides typical rust areas found on old cars, it's the chrome you should look out for.  Some is reproduced, but much is not such as the rear bumpers ends on 57 or rear bumper end "J bars" on 56.

You have to research a bit more to find certain parts, but it's all out there and there are dedicated suppliers for the major and common failure stuff as well as a super-dedicated fan base.  Beware though, once you buy an old Buick and get it restored you will be hooked...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lancemb said:

Riviera in this period just refers to no post between side windows.  I am not certain about wheelbase differences in 55-56, but in 57 Special and Century were a smaller wheelbase and body; most body parts do not interchange between the two.  Generally speaking Buicks of this era do not share much of anything with other GM line with only a couple of exceptions.

for the 55/56 the special and century were smaller wheel base cars and about 6 inches shorter overall and a couple inches narrower.  Super and Roadmaster were the big bodies.    Not much interchange body-wise except like for like.  Most floor pans and rocker panels are reproduced (even though poorly, it's a starting point I guess).  Many mechanical parts will swap between many 264's and 322's of the 54-56 time frame (of course I'm making a broad statement here, lots of details to fill in).  The best fun about these cars is that they are not easily fixed up out of any one of many catalogs (like ford or chevy).  They require you to hunt, and interact with people to get what you need!

• Like 4

Torque tubes also have variations.  The 54-55 will interchange. The 56 and 57 have  differences that makes each unique. In addition, within each year wheelbase will make a difference.

• Like 1

For the external similarities in 55-57, it's amazing how much difference there is underneath. '56 has a lot of OYO parts, where 54 & 55 shared a lot of stuff, and 57 & 58 has some commonality. That said, there's still pretty good availability on most things, so get what you like and we'll help you work through it.

Edited by SpecialEducation (see edit history)
  • Like 3

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 8:35 AM, wndsofchng06 said:

The best fun about these cars is that they are not easily fixed up out of any one of many catalogs (like ford or chevy).  They require you to hunt, and interact with people to get what you need!

to me, the fun part about these cars is the built in quality and reliability.  It may be hard to find some parts, but the parts needed to drive it are usually available, re-buildable, adjustable,  or just not needed.  I have shelves of parts I'll likely never use, but I've kept since 1974 just in case.

• Like 2

Find the best example you can and buy it.  It is best to learn and you will appreciate the car more if it only needs service and repairs occasionally.   Never buy some rusty/crusty heap with worn out and missing parts.  A good place to start is from a BCA member on these forums --- most will be honest and even offer technical support.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, old-tank said:

Find the best example you can and buy it.  It is best to learn and you will appreciate the car more if it only needs service and repairs occasionally.   Never buy some rusty/crusty heap with worn out and missing parts.  A good place to start is from a BCA member on these forums --- most will be honest and even offer technical support.

Jeeeeez!!!  you shoulda told me that years ago!   HA HA HA HA

9 minutes ago, old-tank said:

Never buy some rusty/crusty heap with worn out and missing parts.

Never. Best advice one could give.

Please PM a description and contact information on any rusty/crusty heaps you would like an opinion on.

Bernie

1 hour ago, old-tank said:

Never buy some rusty/crusty heap with worn out and missing parts

Depends on what your goals are. If you're just looking for an old car to drive that's good advice. If you are looking for a worthwhile and rewarding project I beg to differ..........Bob

• Like 1

Rules of thumb are like stereotypes. If people didn't keep doing it over, and over, and over no one would have noticed.

I have bought a lot of piles of rust and enjoyed the experience. None of the cars I own now was one. I sold the rusty ones to help fund the better cars.

Actually, I regret selling the last rusty one I bought.

01515.jpg.faf33a624f089f9e97ed8a6ee5f299ec.jpg

Good advice is best taken by those who need it.

Bernie

Thank you for the replies guys,

Armed with a bit more knowledge I've done a bit more searching, I'm definitely most partial to the 1955 bodystyle with the round portholes in the fenders. I did notice some cars have 3, and some have 4? What is the significance of that?

I've had enough project cars over the years that hopefully I'm old enough and wise enough now to buy with my head and not my heart... I've had too many incomplete rust buckets over the years. There is a '55 Century (Riviera I believe) 2-door hardtop fairly close to me that is a decent price... but the floors are shot and the tail lamp pockets inside the qtrs are rusted out... that and the missing bumpers ($$$) meaning I'm going to be smart and let that one go.

I'm wanting to do a mild custom so it may be a bit of a challenge to find one.... don't want to get one that is too nice. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Chase392 said:

hopefully I'm old enough and wise enough now to buy with my head and not my heart

I have one that I bought with my head now. I'm planning to sell it I am old enough to have bought a lot of stuff and the cars I bought with my head did not stick around long.

I consider myself somewhat wise, but I never want to become wise enough to recognize the true impact of having a bunch of 50ish year old cars.

A hobby is just too important to take seriously.

Incomplete rust buckets fill me with overconfidence, get me to look at the latest welders, search for parts, and generally daydream, in the garage, in the house, and while on long drives. Nooooooo way I'm buying into being t old and wise enough to give that up! Two doctors and I are planning on another 35 years for me. Well, that's out of context. They said "plan it, but don't expect it." Just like the project car.

Buying a car with your head is like having your Mother pick out your girlfriend.

Bernie

• Like 3

ROFTLMAO:lol:

By the way to answer your question

3 portholes are on the special. The special is the cheaper small body car.  The special will have a 264 V8 with 2bbl carb.  

4 portholes ( or a Fo' hole Buick as the country boys here say) is the century in the small body car or the super and roadmaster in the big body car.  All will have 322s, but the super might have 2bbl.

Edited by wndsofchng06 (see edit history)