1938 Front Shock Absorber Service

dracenroc

I need to service my 1938 Series 40 front shock. The damping is out of tolerances.I disconnected the shock absorber arm and while moving it up and down some free motion is perceptible. 

The shop manual states this indicates air trapped in the fluid compression chambers, so I'll try to pump it out by moving the arm up and down and refill some oil.

Thinking a step ahead: does anyone know where I could get service parts and the mentioned "service instructions"?

Having the shock absorber already half way out I think about to overhaul the whole unit.  

IMG_2154.JPG

I just had Apple Hydraulics rebuild the front shocks on my '41 Limited and I was happy with the service. Took about 10 days total (including shipping) and the cost was reasonable. I had them do the Heavy Duty rebuild, which is about 10% stiffer than stock. I can't really tell the difference but I haven't driven it much yet and don't have much to which I can compare it--I'd probably skip it if I were doing it again. I will say that having fully operational shocks makes a HUGE difference. I could fill my old ones up with oil but it would leak out in a few hours, so it crashed and banged over bumps and the steering column shook violently. Now, it's just a distant THUMP THUMP that you barely feel. I can't believe that it would make such a dramatic difference. I find myself bracing for impact like I used to but the impact never comes. Now I have to get the rears done--the fronts were so bad I never noticed the rears were shot, but the rear end bobs and floats and it's noticeable now that the front end is buttoned-down.

Have one of the professional rebuilders do your shocks and you'll be pleased with the results. It transformed my car in a big way for a reasonable price.

Thanks to all for the advices! 

Doing some "google research" I found Five Points and Apple as well. There seams to be no no self-made kit because overhauling needs machine work and cannot be done just by exchanging parts, makes sense.

The problem is, shipping costs from Europe to one of the shops you mentioned will be absurdly high!

So as a first step I will refill the shocks and pump all the air off, 2nd I'm looking for a local shop if it needs to be rebuild.

I have always liked to do rebuilds of parts myself. But there are some things that cant be done at home. The front shocks can be in that category. Here is a photo of the shock pivot shaft from a parts car. You can see the shaft is both pitted and worn at the seal area. Virtually impossible to repair at home.

DSC_5293.JPG

I totally agree Don, but a part like the pivot on your picture could be a spare item in a rebuilt kit. I read its not possible to make such a kit because some machine work needs a seal in a specific size depending on the work done at the part.

I filled my shock today, pumping up and down the lever several times. The bubbling sound disappeared as well the free movement as before. The shock must have been almost empty acc the amount of fluid I needed. Right now I can't see a leak or something. Hope it works for a while.

22 minutes ago, dracenroc said:

I totally agree Don, but a part like the pivot on your picture could be a spare item in a rebuilt kit. I read its not possible to make such a kit because some machine work needs a seal in a specific size depending on the work done at the part.

If that is what it looks to be (a shaft with three knurls) that's a straightforward piece for a machinist.  Even that one could likely be salvaged: fill the pits then turn it.  You probably can't make one at home (unless you have a lathe), but you might be able to improve it quite a bit with a MAPP torch, some silver solder, and a drill press.

Dont trivialize the making of that shaft. The ends and center are not simple knurls. The "knurls" must be perfectly timed or aligned so they match both the position of the arms which go to the steering knuckle and the cam that engages the shock piston.

What can be done is to grind, hard chrome and then regrind and polish those bearing surfaces. Definitely not a backyard project.