Vulcanizing

knobless

2 hours ago, knobless said:

Still looking for anyone that does vulcanizing of rear vent windows 34 Dodge, any leads would be helpful 

Thanks

Try a local windshield installatiion company. Don't know anyone that sells the urethane in toothpaste size tubes and it only takes a couple of clicks of the caulking gun to fill the channel. No special tools or skill required, but neatness does count. 

1 hour ago, Digger914 said:

Try a local windshield installatiion company. Don't know anyone that sells the urethane in toothpaste size tubes and it only takes a couple of clicks of the caulking gun to fill the channel. No special tools or skill required, but neatness does count. 

The frame itself is completely incased in rubber acts as both inside and outside weather stripping, has to be molded to the frame, 

have you ever seen one of these frames?

Thanks

if you have seen 1934 Dodge rear venting frames you will know exactly what I am looking to do, I may have to make up a mold myself as there is a left and right window and then try poured rubber compound that cures without heat or pressure, thanks to all..

Edited by knobless (see edit history)

i think youll have better luck doing it yourself,years ago i picked up a spray can of stull at a bearing supply house,it was and aerosol can of spray,you sprayed it light or heavy worked very well used it on tool handles,maybe you can use this,    dave

• Like 1

When I was a kid we had an assortment of small vulcanizers for truck and tractor tubes, small sidewall breaks, and minor patching. All used heat and pressure in the process. Some were air pressure and some were mechanical screws.

You might be able to find a "real" tire shop that could set your gasket up in one of the mechanical vulcanizers

Something like this:

25-hdAfKUwCepaL-1-1.jpg

A shop where they have a good sense of humor and don't stand there, slack jawed saying "Duh, I wouldn't have a clue." should get you fixed up overnight.

I wish I had saved a few of those old tools, like I need more stuff!

Bernie

• Like 1

Have you tried Andy Bernbaum? They have a pretty vast supply of vintage Dodge, Plymouth & Chrysler products. They may have a replacement window for your '34 Dodge.

First 2 pics  is frame with. Weather strip installed ( vulcanized ) with bare frame, 2nd 2 is window that fits ( vulcanized frame) the black frame in photo holds the glass and rides on top and bottom pins to open and close venting windows

IMG_0161.JPG

IMG_0162.JPG

IMG_0164.JPG

IMG_0166.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, knobless said:

The frame itself is completely incased in rubber acts as both inside and outside weather stripping, has to be molded to the frame, 

have you ever seen one of these frames?

Thanks

Can't say for certain that I have seen a 34 Dodge up close just expected it to be identical or almost same as the Plymouth. Urethane will hold the metal frame tight to the glass but it won't do a thing for the fixing up the rubber on the frame that holds the frame that frames the glass.

It's a simple enough piece that if it were mine to make or break and I was determined to do or die. I would make a couple of wax molds one front one back, then strip the  old rubber and give that liquid flex seal a try.

• Like 1

Try posting in the Chrysler and De Soto Airflow section. Their rear vent windows all have that construction from 1934 - 1937. I can't recall how they deal with the problem but someone there may know. I had to rebuild the steel cores for the rear vent windows on a rare :34 De Soto Airflow Brougham  but sold it before I had solved the rubber problem. Good luck!

Edited by 36 D2 Coupe
added info (see edit history)
  • Like 1